IGNORED

Patcon

I agree the low vin is really appealing but the 50k is really too high. The car is obviously not "all original" and I would be concerned it has had a color change. If it is not the original color then a need to completely re-spray drops the value a lot. I would think $15,000 to $20,000 wouldn't be out of reason for an extremely low number car $30k at the outside. 50k....No <_<

13 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I agree the low vin is really appealing but the 50k is really too high. The car is obviously not "all original" and I would be concerned it has had a color change. If it is not the original color then a need to completely re-spray drops the value a lot. I would think $15,000 to $20,000 wouldn't be out of reason for an extremely low number car $30k at the outside. 50k....No <_<

This car has soooo much "wrong", I don't know where to start. haha  Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the original color at this point, as It's probably going to get a re-spray after someone has to go in and repair all the rust rot as evidenced in this pic of the floor pan just in front of the right rear wheel. Yikes!

ROT.jpg

I saw that but I wasn't sure that wasn't under coater peeling off instead of rust. The big thing to me as far as an unknown is what is the premium on a very early car compared to a car like Grannyknots sub 2000 vin or a later sort of normal Vin car? I don't know but I would think with the recent appreciation in Z car values the very early cars would experience this even more so. If that is rust, then a color change or recent re-spray would scare me even more. A bad "fill it and paint it" would really hurt if you spent $50k on this car only to find the typical chassis rust in the floors, rockers, doglegs and quarters.

50 minutes ago, DatsunZGuy said:

You'd be out close to 100K to put the vehicle to right.

While this might seem outlandish today I don't think the days of $100k Z cars is that far off. The really low number cars, properly restored will be bringing that in the next 7-10 years, maybe sooner. Especially if governments around the world keep printing money.... Hagerty has them at $50-60 right now, 10% appreciation compounded for 7 years doubles the value to $100-120k...

• Like 1

Well, this motivates me.  I often wondered if a restored early car would bring this sort of money.  What I'm hearing from the comments is that a "correct" car would be of this value class.  I'm motivated to work on my cars.

One comment mentioned the color "change".  The shock towers and the rear wheel arches are original vinyl if ever I saw, meaning the car would have been 907 racing green.  See how faded the vinyl is compared to the seats?  I wonder if the pictures are dark or if the paint color is dark.  Racing green is much lighter IMO.  Check out the lower left corner of the deck lid valance.  See the seam in the deck carpet between the seats?

s-l1606.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Yes, that car looks like it has been repainted a much darker green than the factory 907.  It was listed on the Treasure Coast FL craigslist about a month ago (right in your backyard).  I wondered if you or Jim F knew of the car.  I think it was listed for $25K OBO then.  I saved the photos from the craigslist ad, but unfortunately not the ad itself.  I'm attaching a few of the craigslist pics, and it's the same dark green.

Apparently the current seller bought the car and then listed it on ebay as soon as he got it.  He seems to try to flip a lot of 240Zs.  If the bids above $50K were real, he's crazy not to take them, given the amount of work that car needs to be correct. 

Like you, it's gotten me considering selling my HLS30-00032 car if I could get those kind of prices for it, and my car is restored/original with all of the correct early parts. 

00M0M_lwgC5NiO4Dj_600x450.jpg

00j0j_i61HGDHswKQ_600x450.jpg

00c0c_j8dqBe0H1GZ_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_bma4pAuYG63_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

I am definitely calling my insurance to up the agreed value another $5K.  I am behind the current values.

Next year I may have to do the same if the values keep going up like they have been.

Ebay sellers are really getting good money IMO.