IGNORED

280Z differences (Timeline)

EuroDat

9 hours ago, wheee! said:

And why there is a shortage of them....

I am sure that contributes. Anyone running an RB motor or any of the other popular EFI swaps probably looks to the early EFI S30 tanks as the easier way to make that happen. That is one reason I would consider all options to salvage the tank you have...

20 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

Is the early 280Z tank a bolt in for 240Z?

Can't say for sure but the 240 tank has some extra vent nipples for the the evaporation tank.  Maybe they could be plugged?

EDIT: After seeing Wheee's picture with the big hose at the back, the early 280s have the evap tank also.  Maybe they all have them, I just don't remember one on my '77 tank when I cleaned it.

924704c52b699cbb4c01fc1e0adb0e25.jpg

1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Is the early 280Z tank a bolt in for 240Z?

Yes I believe so, the 280z tanks have larger diameter supply and return ports than the 240z tank. I haven't tried the swap yet, but I have examples of both here. So I can't comment on what the differences are...

When I was doing my 240Z bumper mod I noticed the horn mounts are different on the early model. HaZmatt was in the middle of his restoration when I noticed it on his 280Z. He has a 75 model and I have a 5/77. I think its somewhere late in 76 they changed this. Might be when they changed the bumper design.

The early design has brackets for the horns. The later uses tabs on the bumper shocks.

Early horn bracket.jpg

Later horn bracket.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
explaining difference

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the two different style AFM's.

The main difference is the Fuel pump switch. There are some other small differences in the AFM body like extra webbing on the outside, but I don't think that make any significant difference in functionality.

Models with switch: 

1. 22680-N4202SV - up to july 75
  2. 22680-N4210 - Aug-75 to Jul-76
  3. 22680-N4800 - Aug-76 to Jul-77

Models without switch:

1. FED:    22680-N4211  From Aug-78
  2. CAL:    22680-N4801  From Aug-78
  3. 280ZX 22680-P6600

I don't know what the difference is between the two FED and CAL models.

Unfortunatly the models before Aug-77 don't have the Nissan part numbers on the AFM. The stickers come from JECS and will have a number similar to this:

Type: A31-625-000

Serial nr.: 1X21

Engine size: L28

Somewhere after Aug-77 they started using the Nissan part numbers as well on the stickers.

AFM-1.png

AFM-2.jpg

AFM-3.jpg

• Like 1