IGNORED

My winter project: L28 swap into my 240z

blodi

Since the weather hasn't been favorable here I haven't had a chance to start the car up again to tune/drive it. So this weekend I got the interior back together and installed my new Retrosound Model 2 stereo. The car had an older model Retrosound in int when I bought it but it died last spring so I just put an old CD player in that I had laying around. 

But I missed the look and the features of the Retrosound, so I snagged one up a couple weeks ago. 

Also, you can just see the JDM replica "Z" horn pad that I got from MSA and installed a month or so ago. 

24750593063_86109c64e0_c.jpgUntitled by blodi, on Flickr

Edited by blodi

• 2 weeks later...

Well..Friday night, we got it all buttoned up...colortuned..timing set...carbs synced and put the hood on... . I put a few miles on it and thought the timing must be off or something.....it just sounded "off". Came back to the garage, checked the timing...which looked good. Then I looked down and saw the #5 plug wire just hanging there....doh!  As you can imagine...ran a hell of a lot better after I put that back on!  Saturday I drove it a bunch and now have 115 miles on it. So...it time to change the oil when I get a chance this week.  But, so far..no leaks, smoke or any issues at all! Runs very nice, pulls smoothly. I've obviously been keeping the revs down while it breaks in, but it is already obvious how much more power this engine has. The big cam by the way...seems to pull on the street down low just fine! Totally streetable. The idle is certainly rougher and more lopey than stock,(which I think sounds awesome)... but it smooths right out as soon as you come off idle.  I know it will really shine once I'm able to really let it pull to redline.  Can't wait to drive it more! 

A couple pics...my friend it editing together a video he shot of the whole engine install and first test drive..should have it sometime this week.... 

IMG_6187 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_6186 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_6188 by blodi, on Flickr

• Like 2

How long do you think that motor sat until you fired it? Curious because mines been together about nine months now and is still on the engine stand. Hopefully with this nice weather I'll be able to get it cranked in a week or two.

Just wondering if I should squirt lubrication in the spark plug holes?

28 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

How long do you think that motor sat until you fired it? Curious because mines been together about nine months now and is still on the engine stand. Hopefully with this nice weather I'll be able to get it cranked in a week or two.

Just wondering if I should squirt lubrication in the spark plug holes?

It had been together for several years. I don't know how long exactly. I never put anything in the cylinders and it was nice and loose when I turned it over by hand while doing the valve adjustment. 

• Like 1

People are cautious when selecting cams and not getting too big, but these motors do fine and stay civil for the street.  I wouldn't recommend anything less than 270/480 and it would be perfectly streetable .

love it when a plan(engine ) comes together !!!

• Like 1

I think maybe also helping on mine is the fact that I kept the stock flywheel...so probably helps it idle a bit smoother and helps it a bit in the low RPMs.   I know I'm leaving HP on the table by doing so..but I also wanted to keep the clutch as stock as possible. I have a really crazy firm RPS clutch in my NSX...and it just becomes such a pain to deal with when you get stuck in traffic. 

• 5 weeks later...

Still trying to rack up the break in miles...up to 150....bad weather and lack of time has kept me from driving more.  Car has been running great...up until the last time I drove it....I'm limiting revs to 4.5-5k overall..but I noticed last time it would start to break up past 4K under load.  Didn't have that issue the time I drove it before that.....pulled plugs and they look good....any ideas? Fuel? Timing? Really odd...nothing changed. 

I'd put in a new set of plugs and see what difference it makes. I've had plugs misfire at high RPMs that "looked" good. New engine may be running clean but it isn't sealed up quite yet. Also check the resistance in the plug wires and connections. If that makes no difference, I'd finish the tuneup. That will need to be done to eliminate the usual culprits.