IGNORED

Alternative Brake Vacuum Hose Source?

Hardway

I know this is a really old post, but I thought I would follow up with what I learned. I tested baking hoses and it works quite well, here is what I did to form my own brake booster hoses.

I started by testing a few pieces at 350 degrees for 3 different times with 1/4 od soft copper pipe to hold the shape, the first one I tested with my tire pyrometer to see how hot it was (hotter than 200 degrees in the middle of the rubber and that is the limit of the pyrometer, so I didn't test the others). I decided to go with a 7 minute bake, as you can see all three held their shape, 9 minute stunk a bit more so I went with the middle of the 3 for my final bake.

I used 3/8" fuel injector hose which fit perfect, and has thicker walls than some of the other vacuum/fuel line hoses. For the real hoses I greased the copper tube so it would be easy to get out. I baked at 350 for 7 minutes, and the hoses stayed quite nice, not quite as tight as the factory lines, but they kept their shape well enough for what I needed.  I think the trick is to  bend them a little further than you need, and when dipping them in water, to cool them, hold the hose a little tighter than the tube holds it while pinching the other sides so it doesn't have a tendency to crush to get perfect bends. 

Well, that is what I did and I am satisfied with the results, it gave me a good looking formed hose without the cost of the braided ones, and if I need a new one down the road, I can easily make one for like $15 worth of stuff.

The integrity of the hoses looks great, but I didn't test them in any way other than driving it around. I totally recommend this for vacuum line hoses, but I would want to test a little more before using this method for fuel injection or other higher pressure and higher risk applications.

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

Edited by bingo
  • Like 4

You can also use that same size copper tubing with both ends open, insert it into the full length of the hose, bend it to shape then install just as it is with no baking.  The copper tube has to be about 3" shorter than the hose so there is room enough on either end for the hose to slip over the nipples.  There is more than enough space inside the copper tubing to accomodate the vacuum needed by the booster.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

On the east coast, Bel-Metric in Massachusetts has a wide assortment of name-brand braided hose (mostly Continental), sold by the meter.  Prices are competitive.  This is a large, well-established vendor with excellent shipping.  Huge catalog metric fasteners and hardware, as well.

www.belmetric.com

The fittings for the S30 vacuum hoses measure 10mm OD.  That suggests that a 9mm hose will be the correct size.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2008 at 10:44 PM, kats said:

Hi,

Now Japan is in a long holidays, very nice sunny day so I have done some works for my Z432.

My Z432 had been using OEM new master vac hose, but it was not cloth-braided. How everyone is doing about master vac hose? I have never seen NOS one in the EBAY since I have joined it in 2002.

So, I made it. It is not an OEM, it is a fake. But it looks pretty good shape is not it??

I use a NOS fuel hose, and a brass rod. That is all.The rod can be anything if it has enough strength to bend the hose and keep its shape.

Just cut the rod appropriately and let it go through the hose. Then you can bend the hose as much as you satisfy, now you go it. Just apply the hose to its original place, the rod is sitting inside with out problems.

My 240Z has done same thing and still without problem ,4 years has passed.

And the temp/oil gage, my Z432 got NOS one but it is for 1972 or 73. Indication scale is different, later gage does not have white center reference(actually for the water,it is not in center though)

So I replaced later scale to original re-conditioned ones.Only facing was replaced.

Heater panel label,Mikuni carb label,are in place. Did I show the battery? Fairlady cars have a small battery not like exported cars, the battery hard war

e is completely different.

Thank you,

kats

post-3193-14150803134026_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803134352_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803134603_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803134839_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803135083_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803135337_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803135577_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803135824_thumb.jpg

post-3193-1415080313617_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803136437_thumb.jpg

Hi , here is another choice of those hoses , I made them from the fuel hose 17239-E4600 . This hose is still available from local Nissan 1500 yen (13 USD )  , my friend bought it last week in Japan . I did this work in 2008 , pretty much satisfied with the results. And functioning perfectly still now , my blue 240Z and Z432 had got these hoses installed and no problems.

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1