IGNORED

Oil pressure uneven

jeanp

That wasn't my intent.  Rossi just had some great pictures in his thread.  I actually used Google to try and find some less controversial pictures, but there's not a lot out there.

I would spend a little more time trying to figure out where the oil burning is coming from.  Depending on which rings he used and how he finished the cylinders it could be that the engine is just not broken in yet.  The oil scraper rings aren't seated.  The compression test doesn't tell you anything about the oil rings.

On the oil pressure - you haven't given any numbers.  You just said uneven.  Before going crazy,maybe install a mechanical gauge directly on the side of the engine and see what it says.  The oil pressure gauge in the car is electromechanical and can fail at the gauge itself or the sender.

Could be that oil pressure is fine, and the engine will wear-in over time and be fine.

• Like 1

for oil pressure i have just reading is from my original gage withch is let say 1/8 of an inch high to 1/8 of an inch low from dead center i will need to put a

better gage on  for more info.  hope that the engine will wear in fine but for now it is burning lots of oil, there is a thing that i notice there is no clicking at all

on the valves you know this datsun noticable clicking on the valves this is not there. Remember the first Z i had was 1970 it had this valve clicking  this one

with engine I removed had this clicking to. But that DPLLC does not click at all. I will check Wipe pattern and give it a real ride this week ( if we can have a beautifull day)

eastern Canada has very bad weather lately.    

All solid (no hydraulics) valve trains should always make some noise.  You should recheck your valve lash and make sure it hasn't disappeared.  If you lose valve lash a valve can stay open and be damaged.  Check it before the ride, even during.  

• 1 month later...

Ok did a few things nothing helped  did a leak test today with my friend that have the

tool for it. help the bad news is cylinder one 90% leak and it leaks in the block so

i will have to remove the engine and rering. Al did remove my comment from his

website. And i wil give him a call as soon as i know if the ring were broken or

missing.

ugh.... sorry to hear that.

at least if you pull the engine you'll have a chance to go through the whole thing and do it right.

my experience with Al is that he seems to be a nice enough guy, but may have more than one shop (or more than one technician) doing his machine and build work with questionable QC.

while you have the block out, a fresh set of bearings, seals and gaskets + the rings will give you peace of mind going forward. 

re-building the head yourself (assuming it isn't damaged) is not difficult, just takes a clean bench, a book and some patience. 

while you have the block out, a fresh set of bearings, seals and gaskets + the rings will give you peace of mind going forward. 

re-building the head yourself (assuming it isn't damaged) is not difficult, just takes a clean bench, a book and some patience. 

I agree with those sentiments completely.  I get one running and see the potential then tear it apart and make it mine. :)  

• 6 months later...

Well for those that can be interested in buying an engine from California Datsun. I sent it to a local shop

the bores where all the same except for cylinder 1 it was smaller. The honning was poorly made. The head

job was realy rough. All oil ring where broken

my mechanics think they where cut intentionaly without knowing any reason to do so.  So what i think now is

that Al takes an engine appart and put a cheap new parts kit in it and voila it is called a rebuild engine.

some of the compression rings where to small.

Edited by jeanp

• 2 weeks later...

Brought some new rings and gasket to the engine shop

The mechanic there showed me those rings the expanders qhere actualy cut

we think cause none of them look alike the other one as of the ends of them

and they were to short if you enter them alone in the cilinder. Top and botom ring

where inverted top was on botom and botom on top. And they where upsid down.

In the head angles where no good. 

So the thing is costing me a rebuild, a set of rings and gaskets.

The strange thing is  that every parts in there are new you can see it.

valves, piston, rods springs, chain name it is new. cylinder 1 piston has 

a bit of wear it was way to tight. But as i only did 1000 miles it is not ruine.

On the good side.

Gave me the oportunity to paint engine bay.  Maybe purist of you will not like

it i did paint it in black well my car is not a stock car body is in realy good shape

but almost every part of it was changed so there is no way i will bring it back to

stock.

Edited by jeanp