IGNORED

240Z Resto - 01/1970 Car

Careless

Careless, I don't have answers to your real questions, so sorry for the non-sequitur, but...

Is it my imagination, or are the two halves of that brake caliper being held together by just one bolt? And one of the empty holes look like it's all ovaled out? Like someone took a file to it some time in the past??

I checked the calipers today at the shop, and it looks like those were sent in for cores. the ones I have are all assembled, and with the exception of the silver paint being sprayed on them- i think they're ok.

below are what i think the calipers are supposed to look like. does anyone have insight to this?

2011_00604_171.jpg

Edited by Careless

• 2 weeks later...

To give credit,that photo is the same photo shown on the PMB Performance site.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/other-brakes/240Z_Calipers.html

I had them do the front calipers on my 73 after reading a thread by "conedodger" (Rob Sime) on this forum and they do absolutely beautiful work. (Porsche owners are usually pretty finicky about looks) I don't think they could be done better anywhere.

The plating is sacrificial zinc that protects the caliper according to their description of the process they use for restoration.

Not inexpensive, but I don't worry about my brakes. :D

Jim D.

"Zup"

yes, the image is linked from there. LOL. I'm not concerned about the quality from them. i think it's going to take too long to get them back.

I'm really just interested in finding out what the OEM finish is. I can do the plating locally- it's just JIS standard yellow zinc.

just wondering if anyone knows what the 1970 finish actually was. I can't find pictures anywhere.

I have had several sets apart and have never seem any trace of the yellow zinc. You would think that the inside of the mating surface between the two haves would still have some finish left if that was the case. I was"t  looking for it, just don't remember seeing any. 

I have had several sets apart and have never seem any trace of the yellow zinc. You would think that the inside of the mating surface between the two haves would still have some finish left if that was the case. I was"t  looking for it, just don't remember seeing any. 

yeah i took the original set apart today, and they were definitely seized. I'm not sure if they ever had any kind of yellow zinc on them either. but they could have been replaed at some point as well?

I had to clamp the halves of the caliper to a table on both ends (where the bolt holes are) with the piston facing down. then injected some air into the bleeder fitting hole and it sounded like bomb went off. It was in there pretty good! I doubt it was ever changed.

I'll inspect between the two halves to see if there is any yellowing.

Edited by Careless

Carb Coolant Bypass Tube (Over as pictured here, or under the manifold nut/washer?)

Under..against he head

awesome, thanks! i figured that's how it was. I had it mounted like that, but realized I needed to have the rear engine slinger plated silver so i removed it for now.

anyone know what the original plating colour on the brake NP valve is? I have two photos here, but one shows clear zinc, the other shows hints of yellow zinc on the threads.

when I pulled the one apart, I could have sworn there was no yellow at all, so I was going to do it clear zinc.

4gmbpov.jpg

fQGBqIa.jpg

probably gonna go with clear zinc.

really don't remember it being yellow. though i did see a fully rebuilt unit with yellow...

The body of the NP valve is definitely not plated, as it wouldn't come out pretty when the aluminum is dipped in the muriatic acid prior to plating. i'm wondering about the the end-cap screws, sensor sleeve (with the copper terminal coming through) and mounting spacer. 

I was just going through all the stuff in the garage that I have to sort for plating this week. Man, this is gonna be a big run. I just took about 400 misc hardware items out of the tumbler and sorted them out. It was probably one of the bigger runs I've done in the tumbler but it was all flat washers, lock washers, and small nuts.