IGNORED

1973 Rebuild

I like the grey Z you show first

The original 918 is nice too

I really like the GTR color and we saw one in Memphis painted that color. It looked really good...

The Aston Martin color is cool too. The last two have a lot of metal flake in them. If you decide to do them get someone with experience to shoot the finish paint. It can be tricky to lay down metallic evenly and without blushing and the paint is expensive!

I've found myself thinking about the same thing when I'm at my desk, a fair distance away from all the actual work I have to do on the car :)  And haven't come to any kind of decision that I'd want to live with for years.

I've seen a couple cars that were painted the GT-R gray.  Sometimes I really like it, sometimes I think it looks like the right paint on the wrong car.

Kind of feel the same way about single-stage urethane vs. multi-stage paint jobs.  The former looks more right for the car, but just isn't that visually exciting when compared to the metallics.

It's not one of the options you listed, but I'm pretty sure that nothing's ever looked bad in British Racing Green.  Of the options above, though, I'd probably lean towards 918, the GT-R orange or Aston orange, depending on the budget.

Oh, and I can't get behind matte paint.  I think by 2018 it'll scream "I got a paint job in 2014!" the same way big wheels have screamed "I bought rims in 2004!" for the last few years.

Matt, that grey Nisei Z 3rd one down is my dream car! Love that colour. If the re-sale price of your car is what you are thinking about then of course, go stock. But I painted my Z a very non-stock colour , loved looking at it everyday and got a very good price when I sold it earlier this summer, it didn't hurt my resale value at all.

I say paint it the colour you love the most.

Look what came in the mail:

IMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG

Nearly perfect. The rectangular bowl where the drain plug is located is slightly caved in, but I have a plan to make a slide hammer out of 3/8ths square steel rod and use my dollies to tap it back to where it should be.

Huge shout out to Mark Maras for finding, securing, and Greyhounding this to me. Gonna focus on this piece until it's finished while my head is off getting worked on.

@Charliekwin, everything you said is why I change my mind every time I go online.

Congratulations, looks good.

If you want a new sending unit and O-ring Nissan still has them.  Sender #25060-E4100, $42.  O-ring #17342-18000, $1.50.  I had a hard time with the nail head connectors and ended up using some female spade terminals then slathered the whole thing with liquid electrical tape.  Worked out good too.

Packard Type 56 Female Terminal

35e84e2d-c0a1-46d9-a7e3-789b7fc8eba7_1.5

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I've got that same spring compressor, it's great once you get it adjusted.  I was kind of worried at first that I was too tight with it but that's what it takes.  I found that a pen type magnet helped a lot for grabbing the retainer keepers.

3-pcs-Lot-Portable-font-b-Telescopic-b-f

You probably already know this but I like to blab so if you'll put a small piece of wood about an inch think under the valves face then put an appropriate sized socket over the retainer, spark plug socket was what I used, and whack it with rubber mallet it'll break those keepers loose beforehand.  Makes it a little easier, they'll fall out when you clamp the compressor down.