IGNORED

Going To Japan In 3 Weeks

hr369

To help pay for my trip i usually bring back some JDM stuff in the suitcase. This trip i picked up some brand new 280z hood vents,

calendar clock and 260z jdm tail lites.

Has anyone seen one of these?   I've never seen an oil pressure with the scale that this one has.

Would this crank be salvageable? The rust pits look pretty deep. If you engine builder guys out there think its fixable, I could fit it into my extra big suitcase.

post-23403-0-81855600-1426807296_thumb.j

post-23403-0-24394300-1426808005_thumb.j

• Like 1

Not much weight on a suitcase, if me I`ll buy a 25 yr ODD Japanese car for cheap, transport is as much or less as coast to coast. FWIW

actually one of these cranks is about 20 kilo's and with the weight of the suitcase, its almost at the weight limit for a checked bag.

25 years ago?  hmmm..1990.... the only car i can think about collecting is a skyline or rx7 of that vintage.  I do like the little K class cars

especially the little pickup trucks. But gawd, those things would never pass dot requirements.

What makes that crank special? My crankshaft shop could grind it or even build the journals up and then dress it but it would have to have significant value to justify it. They have a really cool machine that welds a continuous bead onto the journal to build it up and then they turn it down. It can spin the crank so as to keep a rod surface or crank surface centered.

Charles

What makes that crank special? My crankshaft shop could grind it or even build the journals up and then dress it but it would have to have significant value to justify it. They have a really cool machine that welds a continuous bead onto the journal to build it up and then they turn it down. It can spin the crank so as to keep a rod surface or crank surface centered.

Charles

It was for a prince S20 but im afraid there aren't too many people running/building those in north america.

I'm afraid it might become wall art.

Good to know on the welding. I'm wondering how that metal wears compared to the original forged metal.

Edited by hr369

I don't know on wear. Welds are normally harder than regular sheet metal but I don't know compared to forged. You can get MIG wire in a lot of different types. This company services cranks from all kinds of stuff from large pumps to race cars. They know their stuff. It would be interesting to ask but if they said it would be ok I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even know on costs but I imagine its kind of pricey to pay for the machine... 

Charles

there is a technique cal flame-spray that is used to rebuild cranks. it's sort of like welding, but a pair of wires arc in the presence of pressurized inert gas and deposit a fine spray of molten metal which welds to the base surface, which is being turned in a lathe during the process to receive an even coat. they use this to build up the surface then turn it down to spec. an interesting benefit of this process is that you can deposit different metals on top of the base metal - bronze on steel or harder grades onto milder base materials. 

it's used to re-build the huge turbine shafts for hydropower plants (much cheaper than a new shaft).

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a V07 stroker crank to throw in the suitcase. Anyone want a 10,000 rpm Fairlady 432 tach?  they're only 650 bucks :P .

That oil pressure gauge I posted in this thread that has the strange scale is from a 432 also. 

Was watching a video on youtube that was taken in the Hot exclusion zone around the nuclear power plant. There are people that drive there

to feed the many stray dogs and cats that were abandoned after the earthquake and nuke meltdown.  They drove past a nice 370z that was abandoned in someones driveway. (Not this video but another on youtube). What a shame all the nice cars that were undamaged but left behind and are now highly radioactive.

The radiation meter on his dashboard as he drove was beeping very loudly and several times hit an level so high an alarm went off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9iJ3pPuL8

I sure hope this stuff im bringing back wasn't scavenged from this area....

post-23403-0-93230100-1427928064_thumb.j

Edited by hr369

If you like animals, stop into one of Tokyo's "cat cafes" for some coffee and purrs.

Many in Japan don't have room for a pet, so the cafes allow them some pet interaction.

A co-worker is vacationing in Japan and she sent me this pic last week.

"Having a hot chocolate in a Tokyo cat café"

post-14517-0-67244400-1427995464_thumb.j

Edited by Oiluj