IGNORED

Identifying 5 Speeds.1)

bhbarr

I always thought it was the case that made it a B or a C, but I don't know jack about transmissions other than how the math works, so who knows.

I asked the guy to check the number of rotations, so we'll see what he comes back with. If it's a 3.321 it's moot, because I can get that from a 280z.

In other news, I found a 5 speed from an '82 ZX.", so...

2 hours ago, Matthew Abate said:

trans2.jpg

Stamp on the housing says TA71B #1.

But the rear case looks like a 71C, with the different shifter mount.  And the front case is different from the early 71B's.  Look at the orientation of the flat spot to the shifter.  

Edited after taking my pictures. My head is spinning.  I can't get the right views to compare.  I'll try to take this perspective on my swapped unit.

Edited by Zed Head

Couldn't find the usual comparison shots so made my own, just for fun.  The free bellhousing is what's left from the swap.  1985 300ZX.  I miswrote earlier, the starter actually is lower if you use the flat spot on the housing for reference.

The insides are clean.  I tend to leave things dirty until they get used.

all three together.PNG

alll three from front.PNG

1983 280ZX 71B.PNG

1985 300ZX 71C.PNG

300ZX 71C ZX 71B Hybrid.PNG

I'll stop now.  You can see the differences in this picture.  Your transmission seems to have a thrid orientation.  So it's probably L series, VG, and CA.  And there's a KA out there also, but I think that it's like VG.  EuroDat's "Z" maybe.

71C 71B hybrid.PNG

abate's mystery.PNG

The back half will bolt on to a new front half so you can make a swap work.  The questions are about gear ratios and back half length. People either use a very early 240Z drive shaft or have theirs cut to length.  If the ratios are right, it might be what you want.

I mentioned your other thread in this thread.  The guy has truck ratios.  We haven't even got in to how this could be unless it's a bellhousing swap.

You mentioned it was a 71B so I assumed it was the Z series early 83 200SX. They changed late in that year to the CA series engines with the 71C. You have and early 71C if its original and no one has played with any of the combinations yet.

That stamp on the transmission housing 71B-1 seems to be just a production casting stamp.

The 71C is a nightmare compared to the 71B. It was used in a lot of vehicles for a long time. I think the last version was used in 1998 and doesn't look much like the original. The KA series engine was the last variation with the 71C. The ridge looks similar to the Z, but the bolt pattern is different iirc.

Just measured my old 300Zx bell and the relevant parts on the swapped unit, and got 33 3/8 total, also.  So looks like you're on the standard swap path.  Any of the three writeups should get you there.  If you can find a very early short 240Z propeller shaft you'll be one fabrication step ahead.

I crawled around the web for a while after I thought about the fact that I have a modified bellhousing/case but may not have a 71C to use it on soon (besides my 85 300ZX unit), if things keep going the way they are.  I found that the base model Pathfinders, of which there are many, also used the 71C.  Still trying to figure out the years but 1995 did for sure.  They would be the KA24E (4 cylinder) models.

Something to consider if your two state away $100 deal falls apart. 

KA24E Pathfnder 71C.PNG

I think the 71C was available in the D21 with the KA engins until 97 when Nissan changed to the D22 Frontier. They may have kept th 71C longer in the Mexico plant. I have seen one out of a 2WD and it has more sensors for the management system, all removable of course.

So what would you guys do if you were in my situation. I think I can handle buying this transmission, but sourcing a bellhousing is starting to concern me.

Then there's the rear end. From the other thread it's sounding like this tall first gear becomes unusable with anything more than the 3.545 in the back, and I had intended on going with the WRX STI swap, of which 3.545 is the shortest I've been able to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk