IGNORED

Identifying 5 Speeds.1)

bhbarr

I have searched the forums and I must be an idiot because I cant find a thread answering my questions. 

1) What are the 5 Speed PART NUMBERS that fit a 1972 240Z

2) Where are part numbers located on the transmission?

3) What is the most current information?

4) Will 300zx 5 Speed fit?

Many people have tried to correlate the numbers on the transmissions with some basic qualities of the unit.  But there doesn't seem to be any correlation, even though there are Nissan documents that show where the numbers are.  But no charts indicating what the numbers mean.

A 300ZX 5 speed will not fit correctly because the VG30E (V6) engine used a tilted bolt pattern.  It will bolt up but it the shift lever will be at an angle.

You have basically two common versions to choose from: The types FS5W71B & FS5W71C. The C will require some modification and you will need your 4 speed bell housing to fit it to the L24 engine. The 71B will be easier to fit and the transmission doesn't need modification.

There are quiet a few varieties of FS5W71C transmissions to choose from. 

The 1984 300ZX came with 18mm gears.

The 1985 300ZX onwards all had 20mm gears.

Nissan introduced a mainshaft brake mechanism and wierd selector mechanism on the 1987 300ZX. Its also in the 200SX.

Finally the double cone synchro was introduced in 1988 which is also the last year the 71C was used in the 300ZX (I believe).

The S13/14 (200SX & 240SX) went through a similar evolution. I think the 71C was used through to 1998, but not certain of that. Somewhere around 1994 they introduced the reverse synchro.

The 71C was also made with a stubby extension used in the Nissan D21 pickups until 1997 using the Z24 and KA24E engines. The rear extension was about 150mm shorter. It won't fit a 240Z without doing a lot of work to the tunnel and centre console.

The FS5W71C was last used in the Xterra until somewhere around 2002.

Or you could find an original 5 speed gearbox for the 240Z but those seem rare ;)

Didn't t the later 280Z and ZX have 5 speeds allready ?

Hi Bart,

Yes, You are right. That is why a said "common versions". The FS5C71A is getting hard to find in any condition.

The next problem. The FS5C71A was not exported  to the US or Canada in the 240Z It was in Europe, Australia, NZ etc. Its sometimes referred to as the Raoster swap in the US because they source them from the roasters, if they can find them in usable condition. I think you need the 240Z (Series I) F4W71A bellhousing to fit the roadster transmission to the L series engine. I have only read about one guy doing it.

The 280Z and 280ZX both had 5 speeds. Up to 1980 they had a wide ratio version and after that they had two (fifth slightly different ratio) close ratio 5 speeds. The close ratio is a good transmission, but you should strongly consider changing the a 3.7 or 3.9 diff ratio. Otherwise first is too high.

Chas

I don't know exactly either Chas... What I can find on the service manual is that the 4 speed ratio is 3.900 and the 5 speed 3.364

You've got that the wrong way around: 4-speed diff ratio is 3.364:1 and  5-speed diff ratio is 3.9:1 (4.44:1 with S20 engine).

• Like 1

Is this the mysterious "dogleg" 5 speed, that sometimes has a flange on the output shaft?  1:1 (direct) 5th gear?

Hi Zed Head,

You might be thinking of the FS5W63A out of the early 1977-79 200SX. It was also an option on the 710. It was available in L and Z bellhousings.

I think the 710 had the flange on the output shaft from what I can remember. I have read about it, but never seen one out of a 710. A long time ago I worked for a company that had a fleet of 710 and 720 dual cabs. Only two of the 8 710's had this box. Loved the 4th to 5th straight through.

Shiftpattern.

R 2 4

1 3 5

The 63 is the distance between the shafts. Its regarded as a weak alternatief and can barely handle an L20B.

Ratios:

1st: 3.382

2nd: 2.013

3rd: 1.312

4th: 1.000

5th: 0.854

Rev: 3.570

Chas.