IGNORED

240Z Serie I Color Wiring Diagram

EuroDat

It looks realy good. The first thing i looked at was the glass heating and thought you should recheck this connection...

Ill check it with the 1971 supplement. Do you have any hints to start with? Most diagrams just have a retangle with the two wires going to it. I tried to make it look a little more realistic based on my knoledge of the 280Z system.

The passing relay has 4 wires connected to it. The R/W (red with white stripe) is spliced into the headlight dimmer wire. The Black is a ground wire. The Red is spliced into the headlight 12V circuit via a fuse to the fusebox busbar. The B/Y (black with yellow stripe) makes a straight run to the passing switch, which is the white button on the end of the turn signal stalk, if so equipped.

Thanks for the input, I found a fault in the relay and corrected it. It looks right now, I think.

Played with the print format today. I made two PDF's One in A1 format and the other is 4 pages in A4. If you print them you can trim them and stick them toegether to make an A2 format diagram. This way it can be printed at home at minimal costs which should suit the datsun crowd ;)

The files have been converted to Acrobat 9.0 and higher to reduce file size.

Any misstakes, please let me know. No point making it if its not correct.

Chas

ColorWiring240Z1971_Rev_0 21-feb-2015.pdf

ColorWiring240Z1971_Rev_0_A4_21-feb-2015.pdf

post-25317-0-36550300-1424618310_thumb.j

Easy to get snow blind after looking at these circuits too long.  Hey, you are doing great and we will all benefit from your efforts. Keep up the good work.

+1

I will use it the next few WE since im redoing at the moment the whole cabling with a painless kit as starting point.

Placing annotations for connectors on the drawing would be great. It would not become too busy with a "C1" "C23" in fine print scattered throughout. A later addition would then be to add mechanical drawings of these connectors on a separate sheet as well as showing the location with respct to the car and wiring harness like on the supplement drawings.

post-12106-0-93344500-1424801360_thumb.j

Placing annotations for connectors on the drawing would be great. It would not become too busy with a "C1" "C23" in fine print scattered throughout. A later addition would then be to add mechanical drawings of these connectors on a separate sheet as well as showing the location with respct to the car and wiring harness like on the supplement drawings.

Great idea Blue! The inclusion of connector information could be as simple as a black square outline, containing the designated connector numbers.  The pin out info, connector profile and connector locations could then be easily referred to.

I have examples. I can post a few that will show what you have in mind (I think). Other info, such as male/female directional orientation could be included as well with the indicating arrows.  

Edited by geezer
  • Like 1

I was thinking along those lines too. It would keep the diagram uncluttered and still easy to follow. The single bullets and Spade terminals could be added directly to the diagram.

I started playing with it already.

post-25317-0-97120800-1424807742_thumb.j

I also expanded the collection to cover the following:

1: 1970 to Early 1971.

2: Late 1971 to Early 1972

3: 1972

4: Work in progress 1972 Euro/JDM (With rear speakers and Rear separateT/S light)

5: Work in progress 1973 USA (With Seatbelt buzzer)

The years (Timeline) may not be correct. Correction welcome.

ColorWiring240Z1972USA_Rev_0 24-feb-2015.pdf

ColorWiring240Z1971Late_Rev_0 23-feb-2015.pdf

• Like 1

A few thoughts come to mind if an improved drawing was to be made. The accompanying  pages Blue posted (post#33), as an example, would be great for reference, especially if the suggestion he already made, assigning ID codes to the connectors was included. They could be coded with a "F" or "M" as a prefix to the number assigned, on the wiring diagram  to designate male or female as well.

The wiring drawing itself  could include other information such as wire gages, assigned circuit ID numbers, along with the proposed connector ID numbers. A color enhanced drawing does make color labelling on the wires somewhat redundant. The additional info sure would help to make it easier to troubleshoot problems with these cars and make the diagnoses something easily learned even if wiring isn't in your comfort zone.  

The examples, I posted (post#31) were just random pages taken from circuits that it was my job to proof read in 1994, two years lead time for our 1996 NS launch. They just show how much more info was included to aid in reference pages (and that was more than 20 years ago). Everything from connector info, pin out info, to circuit theory and explanations.

Thanks for the input. Blues idea of using the two other drawings and referencing would be an eas quick fix. I could easily add a table with wire size per connector. I imagine it would be handy for someone making a new harness.

I was playing with the connectors on the wiring diagram, but it requires an aggresive reshuffling of the diagram to get them in. Specially around the instrument cluster and other dash components.

I was trying to keep the original layout to give it a friendly firmiliar feel to it. That way if you have used the original this one will be easy to follow.

Ill clean up the two illustrations and play with them tomorrow.

Geezer, Do you know where I can find information on the wire sizes?

Thanks

Chas