IGNORED

Want Slightly Louder Exhaust Without Changing Much

mklyons

Hi. I don't know too much about exhaust systems really, but I would like to make my otherwise stock 71 240z slightly louder or really just better sounding. Ideally this would be something simple like changing out the muffler (which I can easily put back on later). I want to keep it as stock as possible but whatever changes I make I can easily reverse. What is a good way to achieve this?

Thanks!

I'd get a stainless muffler. I have a local garage that does a lot of exhaust work and they have been able to recommend mufflers to me. See if you have a good exhaust shop in your area and see what they say. I'm not sure what the stock size is. Maybe 1 3/4"?

Chuck

"They" say that a good modification for more power is a more free-flowing exhaust system, from the manifold back.  The whole thing will drop down and drag out from under a jacked-up car,  Then you can hang it from the rafters in your garage.  You might consider that option.  Bigger pipes, larger diameter anti-resonator in the middle and a free-flowing muffler.  More power and better sound.  Three nuts and some hanger bolts  (hooks and rubber donuts if you do it right) and you're swapped.

+1 on the header-back 2.5" system. i did this and am very, very pleased. sound is amazing and will make you feel like speed racer every time you pull past 4K rpm  :P

here's my thread on this - there are many others as well:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49967-2-12-shop-built-exhaust-sounds-great/?hl=2.5

bolt-up systems are available, but for the price you can get a custom setup fabbed and have it exactly like you want.

find a good mom-&-pop muffler shop and you can do the whole thing for $200-$400 including the resonator in the tunnel, muffler and tip. alumanized steel is fine for the pipes, as they don't hold water much and will last plenty long - mandrel bent is best for free-flow, go with stainless resonator and muffler, as they are the first to rot out, then get a polished stainless tip which will look beautiful forever. much has been written about using a tip that turns down and sticks out a bit farther than the rear bumper to help get exhaust out of the airstream so it doesn't pull back into the cabin.

lots of threads on this - of course a simple muffler swap will change the sound, but it's a pretty small step up to do the whole thing and be very, very happy.

• Like 1

+1 on the header-back 2.5" system. i did this and am very, very pleased. sound is amazing and will make you feel like speed racer every time you pull past 4K rpm  :P

here's my thread on this - there are many others as well:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/49967-2-12-shop-built-exhaust-sounds-great/?hl=2.5

bolt-up systems are available, but for the price you can get a custom setup fabbed and have it exactly like you want.

find a good mom-&-pop muffler shop and you can do the whole thing for $200-$400 including the resonator in the tunnel, muffler and tip. alumanized steel is fine for the pipes, as they don't hold water much and will last plenty long - mandrel bent is best for free-flow, go with stainless resonator and muffler, as they are the first to rot out, then get a polished stainless tip which will look beautiful forever. much has been written about using a tip that turns down and sticks out a bit farther than the rear bumper to help get exhaust out of the airstream so it doesn't pull back into the cabin.

lots of threads on this - of course a simple muffler swap will change the sound, but it's a pretty small step up to do the whole thing and be very, very happy.

Wow, I listened to your clips and was very impressed. I am tempted to take your pictures and description to an exhaust shop and tell them I want exactly that and ask for a quote. If they can actually do that for $200-400 then I'm down. Headers are expensive though so I have to consider that.

I know better exhaust systems tend to increase performance. Would these changes make any kind of noticeable difference in power?

Thanks!

the stock manifolds breath well - lots of folks race with them. save the $$ and do our exhaust from the collectors back.

my system was about $400, i've read of others who spent much less. depends on where you are and what kind of shops are available. the good news is our cars have a really simple system - just a couple of bends and hangers and you're done.

a better breathing exhaust can definitely be felt with the "butt dyno" but the sound is really the kicker for me!

Had a local muffler shop install a 2 1/4" pipe and "turbo" muffler, with the stock exhaust manifold and down pipe, on my '73 automatic. I made a bunch of zero to sixty mph runs, timed with a stopwatch, before and after. The new pipe improved it from mid-nines to low eights with no other changes. Definitely noticeable. Cost about $400.

I gave the installers some rattle cans of prep spray and hi-temp exhaust paint; after they welded it up they painted it, before installing it. Might help prevent rust.