IGNORED

2 1/2" shop built exhaust sounds great

rossiz

there are dozens of exhaust posts out there, but i couldn't resist adding to the mix...

just finished rebuilding a good portion of my motor (n42 head, shaved intake, new injectors, etc. new cam chain/sprockets) and put on an msa 6-2-1 header. after reading up on other peoples experience i decided to have a local shop build a 2 1/2" system for me.

we put her up on the lift and mapped out the routing - these cars are sooooo simple, just one run back and a couple of bends - but it's the little details that make or break it for me.

went with alumanized steel piping to an 18" sst ansa resonator in the tunnel and a nice compact can at the back and a polished sst tip with a turndown and a bit of extension to get the fumes out of the vortex. he welded a flare right up to the header adapter flange so we have a nice seal there.

the only tricky part was getting a hanger support behind the resonator - didn't want to drill into or weld onto the body. so we came up with a slightly unorthodox approach and welded a stud onto the head of the bolt that holds the diff strap and used that as a hanger support. a little goofy, but it's sturdy and doesn't affect the ability to remove/replace the strap since he was careful and didn't weld past the flats of the bolt head.

the engine breathes so nicely now, and the sound is really intoxicating - makes me want to do bad things, even on a grocery run...

the sound is low and throaty at idle, almost sbc-ish, but it picks up an awesome growl and really sings out above 4K but it's mellow off the gas so it's still pleasant to drive around as my dd. overall very happy and would highly recommend this approach. the whole thing was just over $400 and i learned a lot listening to his experience and it was fun to be able to lay out every bend for clearances and a perfect fit.

i will try and get a decent video recording (need a second person) and will post for those who care to listen.

view from header back

post-30163-14150829912667_thumb.jpg

resonator in the tunnel

post-30163-14150829914065_thumb.jpg

looking back towards header

post-30163-14150829912196_thumb.jpg

hanger attachment

post-30163-14150829913602_thumb.jpg

muffler

post-30163-14150829914759_thumb.jpg

view from rear

post-30163-14150829911244_thumb.jpg

tailpipe extension

post-30163-14150829911725_thumb.jpg

on the ground

post-30163-14150829915474_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150829913131_thumb.jpg

Edited by rossiz
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

took her out on a small, inclined straight down the street (blue knows this little drag strip) and had my buddy record a couple of runs as well as one revving at the curb.

i'd love to post but can't seem to figure out how to load mp3 files - anyone know the trick??

You have to hide the mp3 in a zip file then upload as an attachment (using advanced edit mode). there is also a size limit on the zip.

It may be better to save as a video on youtube or maybe save in a video format (movie maker built in windows can do this) and use this site to upload the video.