IGNORED

[2015] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

I had that same header over 20 years ago. The quality looks better now than the one I had.

Mine was chrome. I see now they have the better polished exhaust coating.

The biggest issue I had was where the slip fit head pipe connected to the header

with exhaust clamps. It always leaked there. Never could get a good seal.

Also I had to grind some areas on my Mikuni manifold to clear the header

while attaching the intake. It was not real noticeable though.

Mine connected to a 2-1/2 in exhaust.

Thanks Lumens :-)

I've taken the car today to a company who will install the header and Weber 40's and tune the Z, It's the furthest I've driven it since it landed, about 20 miles, a few of things I noticed were that it changes gears very smoothly, the brakes feel 42 yrs old :-) and not many people on the road had seen a 240Z for quite a while if ever, oh and the tick over rose up to 2K! I should be able to collect within 2 weeks .

post-30070-0-54949000-1437767498_thumb.j

post-30070-0-38193000-1437767521_thumb.j

post-30070-0-49843200-1437767539_thumb.j

• Like 2

Displayed my car, along with my neighbor's green 240Z at the annual Lyon's Club "Cars in the Park".  My wife made me a new poster for the show, which was much better than my previous attempt.

We both had a nice time.  Show is mostly classic Americana and hot rods.  There was a red 1974 Ferrari Dino that I thought should have won the best "fur-in" car award, but it was awarded for a second time to a BRG XKE show queen.

Our little 240Z's received lots of appreciation from people at the show, especially my neighbor's green car.  One car collector came by several times to chat, telling me he was very impressed with Z.   He has an 83' Z and a 2000 roadster.   We chatted awhile about how Datsun's are finally starting to get the recognition they deserve.

There were many photos were taken of our little Z's, including some for a newish classic car web site:  http://classiccarpicturesalmanac.com/   It will be a little while before they are uploaded.

All-in-all, a pretty nice day.

post-14517-0-72353900-1437946992_thumb.p

Edited by Oiluj
  • Like 2

I completed the Pertronix igniter points replacement and Pertronix

40,000 volt coil modification. Runs fantastic and smooth. The tach even works normally.

Very happy.

Are you using a ballast resistor with it? I'm curious if that coil makes any gains over a stock coil paired with the ignitor. I was using my MSD coil without a ballast, but the cap and rotor would quickly foul and and wear out.

Are you using a ballast resistor with it? I'm curious if that coil makes any gains over a stock coil paired with the ignitor. I was using my MSD coil without a ballast, but the cap and rotor would quickly foul and and wear out.

Yes I am using the 1.5 ohm ballast resistor, with the 1.5 ohm coil.

Unless the engine has modifications the stock coil probably works as good.

I was strongly advised not to use the MSD Blaster coil. As it only has .7 ohms resistance.

Way less than what Pertronix wants you to use. The person I know that builds

ignition systems for vintage racers was the person that told me not to use the MSD coil.

I use this diagram as it has been proven to work well. Its not drawn as I would like

it but it is correct.

post-4108-0-47148600-1438026823_thumb.jp

I fabricated an Optima battery hold-down bracket for my race car, installed an O2 bung and made some L brackets to install headlight covers to the buckets.  A few days ago, I powder coated the mustache bar while I have it out for new bushings.

Tomorrow, we should get the engine back in and the mustache bar installed.

• Mike locked this topic