IGNORED

Rebuilding The Nikki Fuel Pump

motivealloy

On 30/12/2014 at 1:50 PM, siteunseen said:

Thank you for that.  I hate the way the generic UFO looking one I had to get looks.

Where did you find that new pump?  Do you have a Nissan number?

Thanks,

Cliff

Hi Guys. I am that guy from England again. Tonytomb. I bought a pump from a company called Aladdin.com   In the USA it cost about $24.00 but of course I had to pay for postage and packing which is to be expected.  I am happy with what I have got but I only change the two upper parts of my pump and left the lower part intact as I did not wish to risk damaging the diaphram and oil seal during the course of dismantling the pumps.  Good luck to you all and a healthy and wealthy 2017.

• Like 1

Glad you got it fixed TonyTomB!

I hadn't forgotten about you, but saw your post that you had ordered a new fuel pump and I was waiting to see what the outcome would be.

Sounds like your back on the road.

Hope you have a very happy and prosperous New Year as well!

Jim D.

"Zup"

• Like 1

On 12/30/2014 at 8:55 AM, motivealloy said:

TIP: Make sure to have a complete complement of flat blade screwdrivers handy. I used at least three different thickness of blades dismantling the fuel pump. Loosen all of the screws on the fuel pump while the fuel pump is bolted to the engine. This allows you to get much more torque on those stubborn screws. AVOID using a Philips head at all cost. They tend to strip out the screw heads very easily.

Just an FYI but this might help in future.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14850-borrowed-a-screwdriver-from-a-mate-and-learnt-a-lesson/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zup said:

Here's the discussion several of us had back in 2009 regarding the fuel pump manufacturers and dates:

Thanks for that, so I am assuming my Atsugi pump is original. I am not sure if it was ever rebuilt! Which means it could have a torn diaphragm, I notice when the car has sat a couple of months (I live interstate) it will take a couple of minutes cranking to get it to start. It also tends to feel a bit flat at higher RPMs which would be the SU needles are running too lean, or it could be not enough fuel getting to the fuel bowls.

Although I've never had the car stall of stutter mind you.. still worth looking at as a maintenance item. 

22 hours ago, Zup said:

Glad you got it fixed TonyTomB!

I hadn't forgotten about you, but saw your post that you had ordered a new fuel pump and I was waiting to see what the outcome would be.

Sounds like your back on the road.

Hope you have a very happy and prosperous New Year as well!

Jim D.

"Zup"

Hi Zup.You are congatulating me to soon.  I gave it 4 or 5 attempts bit it still failed with all new parts so I have now been out and bought afuel pump priming tool. I saw the RAC mechanic use one of these but failed to ask him what it was.Anyway I found one in a shop called Halfords.  I have also bought a petrol filter as wel.Tomorrow I will give it another try and will keep you informed as to my progress.

17 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Hi Gav.Thanks for the advice.The new pump that I bought from (aladdin.com ) only had the philips head and no slot for flat bladed screw drivers.However I am glad to say I managed to strip it down an swap over the innards into my original pump which happened to be a "ampco" pump.I have yet to fit it and try it which I will do tomorrow.  Will keep you all informed on this site.  All the best for 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a little old, but I have a clarifying question:

Were the Atsugi and Ampco pumps designed with the donut/disk diaphragm rod that was used in the Nikki pumps, or did they use the t-shaped diaphragm rod from the Kyosan Denki pumps? I read in this thread that the Kyosan Denki pumps are replacement pumps that never came installed from the factory (unless I read that wrong), so I assume that all of them use the same rod shape as the Nikki and only the Denkis use the t-shaped rod.

Edit: I also just found out that there are two different diaphragm-rod diameters, which makes it even harder. Ultimately the only rebuild kits available are for Kyosan Denki pumps, so I think that might be the way to go.

I also noticed that none of the Kyosan Denki pumps I'm seeing on the internet have the staple in the diaphragm tab.

Edited by Matthew Abate
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 8:55 AM, Matthew Abate said:

Were the Atsugi and Ampco pumps designed with the donut/disk diaphragm rod that was used in the Nikki pumps, or did they use the t-shaped diaphragm rod from the Kyosan Denki pumps?

I'm interested in the answer to this as well.  Anyone break down a Atsugi pump to verify the style?