IGNORED

240Z fuel pumps - How many different OEMs?

Arne

Anyone have any idea how many different suppliers made 240Z mechanical fuel pumps? I ask as I have been preparing to rebuild or possibly replace my original pump, and I'm finding that there appear to have been several OE manufacturers.

These days, the new OE-style pumps seem to be made by 'Kyosan Denki'. But my original says 'Nikki', while a spare top cover I received says 'Ampco'. Any others I've missed?

post-8596-14150806012564_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150806012895_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150806013199_thumb.png

Hey Arne--

I wondered that also when I removed the cap and saw the lettering as I was packaging it to send it to you.

Some background info. to help with the sorting of this latest Z puzzle:

That Ampco cap (doesn't sound Japanese, does it? :confused:) came from a very original, one owner, 48,700+ mile 1973 240Z that I recently purchased.

Nothing was missing on this car and it had complete documentation of the mileage with service records.

The car came with dual Webers installed, but included in a box were all the dreaded Hitachi flat top carb parts. Every nut, bolt, washer and hose is there.

The previous owners wife was given the car as a gift when she graduated from college in '73.

This car had the "disease" (common in the 73 model) and I was told by the PO that they replaced the flat top carbs with the Webers. The fuel pump was replaced as well. (part of the shotgun approach to the cure) It was in another box and the rest of the pump looks damn near new, so I am 99.9% certain that it is the original.

If you want a Kyosan Denki cap I am sure that I have it on one of my parts cars over at my mechanic's yard.

I don't know about the Nikki--but I'll have a look soon.

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

post-8151-14150806014905_thumb.jpg

No Jim, if I wanted a Denki I'd have simply bought a new pump rather than rebuilding the one I have. Like the '73 you have, the history on my car is pretty complete, and I'm comfortable that the Nikki pump on mine is original also.

So at this point, we believe that:

Edit: I will update these ranges as new data comes in.

Nikki is OE for 10/69 - 5/72
Atsugi for 9/72?
Ampco is OE for ?/73, possibly also a later replacement
Kyosan Denki is a current replacement

Anyone else?

Edited by Arne
Updated date ranges again

Arne,

I replaced mine last summer with a 'Denki' unit. I just checked my parts bin and the old one was an 'Ampco'.

Now I don't know if that was the original pump or not, but after reading the previous posts I'm inclined to think it's not. In the late 70's my car was converted to dual Webers (how dare they!) before being switched back to SU's in the late 80's.

This leads me to believe my pump may have been replaced as well when the carbs were switched.

Picture #1

My 70' and I think that's the Original, I could be wrong

The red bolts are 1/8" longer than stock because the stock screws kept trying to strip when tightened down.

Picture #2

My 2/74 but the Round top conversion was done so it may be from another Z? Not sure as I don't know the whole history of either car and their P.O's

Dave

post-4921-14150806020202_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150806020722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain