IGNORED

A 1970 Z For 65 Big Ones

Z fan

Dean hit the nail on the head.  As I write this it is at almost $25K, reserve not met of course.  The buy it now of $65K borders on the insane in my opinion.  However, the seller seems to think its attainable since he has in the ad "Lastly, I don't really need emails saying Z cars don't sell for 65k..Yes they do ..Low Vin Series I cars in this condition will soon reach 100k..So why am I selling.. To get the funds to buy an ultra low first 500 VIN shipped Z ..BTW which is already hit the 100k mark"

Personally, I would love to see this $100K Z car he speaks of.  The VIN on the Z he has for sale is not really that low.  It is a series-1 but #6157 is not like a single or double digit production number.  It is interesting that he says there are several parts on the car that are incorrect but will throw them in if the buy it now is used.  I think at $27K that car is done.  If it were one of the Nissan restoration program Z cars it would probably bring a little more.  I am sure we will see it posted over and over again like the project low VIN Z that was on Ebay just a week or two ago.  Good luck to the seller, I know we will all be watching.

It's nice to see a well done, relatively unmolested, Z. But, I think this is another example of psychological game playing in which the seller throws out a dollar value number as if it were fact. Putting a high "Buy it Now" value on an Ebay auction is also part of the "psych". It sets the stage for uninformed bidders. It will be interesting to watch how this one goes.

Dennis

Most people in the Enthusiast Community are used to seeing/finding really nice drivers for $16K or less. Many of us have done full restorations and the truth is,  most of the time we don't keep track of what we have actually spent. So when some seemingly high numbers show up - no one believes it.  

I think we are all going to have to get used to it. It always happens when very desirable cars from 40 years ago - finally see their numbers all but exhausted. What is left are Beaters and Parts Cars or Concours Winning Museum pieces. That or cars that are simply not for sale at any price approaching reasonable. 

That has already happened to all the Muscle Cars of the 60's, all but completely happened to the 67/69 Camaros and desirable 65 to 69 Mustangs - and there were Millions of them!. Want a really nice 64 Pontiac GTO? Yes, we may not see 240Z's bringing hundreds of thousands of dollars like some Muscle Cars, or Shelby Mustangs.. but on the other hand I think we are seeing the final phase of the typical market segmentation,  that takes place with all Classic, Collectable and Special Interest Cars. Sooner than we want - if you want a Datsun 240Z you will only find fully restored or very highly refreshed examples or Beaters and Parts Cars. The low end for a really nice weekend driver - but not Museum Quality example,  will be $20K to $25K and the higher end #1 cars will all be over $60k. $25K to $35K will get you a really nice #3 example or a really nice Street Mod.. Cars that just a few years earlier were selling for $18K ...

Increasing demand with dwindling supply. Greatly increasing cost of need restoration parts. The need to do a far better job of metal work / body work and paint - to preserve the value of the car.. Fewer and fewer people will be half-assing refreshes.. It always goes that way if you have been around long enough to witness it.. I'm sounding very old here I know. LOL

I also agree with Jeff - a deal well be made off-line - and we won't know what was actually paid - unless it winds up in Jeff's garage. 

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Like 2

I googled the VIN (HLS30-06157) and there is a collectocarrpricetracker page that shows this car was sold on ebay in January 2010 for $11,100.  There are several pictures and a PDF of the original ebay ad.

http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/auctions/detail/320471266487/

It looks like a little work was done on the car after 2010, but not much. Some of the engine bay items were replated.  The 2010 ebay ad mentions dash cracks and has a cover on top.  The current ad shows a dash from a 1972, so I assume the dash was replaced.  The front bumper looks like it was also replaced with one that has the AMCO bumper bar.

Not a bad return over 4 years.