IGNORED

Chinese Junk rant

240260280z

The draw, according to our vintage Porsche customers, is (are) in no particular order:

1. Marque history

2. Beauty/style.

3. Driving experience

4. Increasing pricing - in some cases stupidly increasing prices.

5. Lifestyle.

Quality never enters into the conversation. Sometimes they talk about engineering brilliance but that's usually from someone who thinks engineering is driving a train.

I agree. I saw a documentary about Porsche, and the commentator talked about how bad the 911 was in the turns (while driving mountain switchbacks) until they figured it out. And after seeing numerous Porsches at vintage shows and cruise-ins, I remember about all but a few looked as they went through 50 Cleveland winters. :eek: They were dirty and corroded- all but the expensive stereo system and aftermarket leather seats. :rolleyes:

The problem is us, not China.

100% this!

they are just being good little capitolists.

If we choose to buy the Great Neck ratchet instead of the Matco, or Snapon, hell, it is not anybody else's fault.

I am at a stage in my life where I am very happy to pay for a tool, TV, or whatever of quality.

Why buy a taurus when you can buy a Smith & Wesson

Why buy a Great Neck, when you can buy a Snap on

Why buy coby when you can buy Sony.

I demand quality now, and I have no issues paying for it.

I think as you get older you are willing to pay more for two things.

Quality

and

Service.

I think that as you get older - you are ABLE to pay for higher quality and better service.

With the disclaimer - - There is no longer the more or less direct correlation between Price and Quality, that there used to be several decades ago.

Quality is defined by the Customer.

• Like 1

well that is certainly true, but I have never liked buying junk. I would do without and save my money if I wanted something better, rather than settle for less quality. Now I take things to an illogical extreme.

I would disagree to some degree. I still think the old saying, "you get what you pay for" is still MOSTLY true.

You are not garanteed quality by paying more, but the likelihood is far greater you will get quality when you pay more than if you do not.

It all comes down to what is good, and what is good enough. That varies for every person.

• Like 1

I saw a documentary about Porsche, and the commentator talked about how bad the 911 was in the turns (while driving mountain switchbacks) until they figured it out.

If you drive a FWD car like you drive a RWD car, you won't get the most out of the FWD car. Same is true for a 356, 911, or 912 driven like you would drive a 240Z. You have to drive to the strengths of the car and not to the strengths of the car you drove before. A well setup Acura Integra Type R, a Datsun 240Z, and a 2.2L Porsche 911 will all lap a race track with identical times given good drivers.

I think that motor vehicles will be going the same way soon too. General Motors is building manufacturing plants (11 of them so far) in China, and it really makes you wonder about the quality. A friend just bought a NEW GMC pickup because they couldn't get the engine to run on all 8 cylinders! It only had 4 cylinders working, and it was only a few years old. I wonder where that engine was made.

I've been telling people for years to write your favorite automaker in Detroit, to insist they make every last part of them in the U.S. There is nothing consumers in the U.S. need that can't be made domestically. Think of how many more people would have jobs, how nice our economy would be...

I really believe a pickup truck that was 100% domestic would not be purchased because the price would be too high. MSRP on an 014 F-150 is $25k with no options an F-350 is $31,00. Those are bare bones work trucks, not pretty trucks which can easily reach $50k. Would you pay $100K for a new F350? Trucks are already fairly expensive and the 40,50 or 100% premium for American made would be more than consumers could justify. Just my 2 cents...

Charles