IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

• 3 weeks later...

I had the custom driveshaft I had made for the S38/G280 trans modified to fit the S54/G420, needed to be a little shorter with a new joint, that's all mounted so on to the ECU, my favorite:confused:

And my new Silvermine brake kits arrived, hopefully these will give me the braking I'm looking for.  The front calipers are massive yet weigh nothing, very impressed with the kit so far, the parking brake calipers are very cool and the replacement cable is nicely made. All five boxes comes in at 97lbs so take a 1 lb off for cardboard boxes and packing, when I get all of the other Toyota and Maxima calipers/rotors off I'll weigh those too and post it here.  The aluminum adapters I think I will powered coat before they go on otherwise they look like crap by next year.

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The old Toyota and Maxima brake set I replaced was 92 lbs total so the new Wilwoods are 5lbs more,  I will be finished installing the new brakes tomorrow so will go into the kit a bit more then.

The stock elbow on the airbox exits right into the shock tower so I had to come up with a way to feed the air in, I'm not sure this going to work yet but I'll carry on with it until I get the engine running. Right on the end of the tear drop will be the aluminum tube that will head out in front of the radiator but it's still changing daily at this point.

And just got the ECU back from Kassel Performance, they deleted the extra programing that I don't need for the engine swap, flashed a new tune onto it and made up this plug n play harness for me. I'm sure I could have struggled through it and made one up myself but I learned my lesson on the last engine and so I will just pay someone else to do that stuff for me now.

IMG_0493.JPGIMG_0506.JPGIMG_0513.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0520.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Things are moving along, the Silvermine brake kit is in, it certainly isn't a "couple of hour" job as stated on the site.  That's because most of the fitment problems have been figured out but not all of them, it took me the better part of 2 days to install.   First the bad, there is no written instructions, some random photos that aren't very specific of the steps required and a video where every time the instructor runs into a problem that part is edited out.

If the adapter plates were stamped left/right, inward/outward that would have save me many hours but the worst problem occurs when you are on your back under the car fitting the new parking brake cable into place.  The stock collar on the car that holds the cable in place has a ID of .475",  the matching insert on the new cable is .500" so with the Diff and Diff mount in the way you have to try and get a large chisel or screw driver up there try and open that collar up enough for the cable insert to slide in. ? That's a problem that is so simple to remedy while the cable is being made.  And one more, the two 90 degree elbow fittings for the flex hose runs the hose too close to the tire that it rubs so I had to buy two 45 degree elbows from Wilwood finish the install.

This could be a great kit if those few problems were sorted before it went out the door, but Wilwood puts out an awesome product, I can't wait to see how this kit effects the stopping distance.

I'm still fooling around with the fresh air intake and trying to make it work, I have sent it off to Ben to finish off the welds and make them pretty and the new radiator and Spal fan arrived so it is starting to look like an engine bay again.

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wheee! said:

Awesome fabrication skills Chris!

Thanks Mark,  I was going to put on a much larger air duct on it but decided I would go with stock 3.5" MAF to start with and that would get me on the road quickly, if I want more power after that I can always go with the CSL setup at a later time.  I used the thinnest aluminum I could hoping to get some of the induction sound to come through, we'll see.

• Like 1