IGNORED

MY first paint job

gusz280

I think I like the no seam between the finder and headlight case. Im no purist as you can tell by my avatar but still like it to look like a Z. I have a stock hood that I'm going to start on soon. I have to work the metal and I may paint it myself. Have always wanted to try it. If I screw it up, its only a hood and I can sand it back down.

I'm a stickler for orange peel in paint. No sure if I would have the guts to do a whole car either but, I could try it on the hood. Hmm........ Keep the pics coming Gus. How's the interior?

I think I like the no seam between the finder and headlight case. Im no purist as you can tell by my avatar but still like it to look like a Z. I have a stock hood that I'm going to start on soon. I have to work the metal and I may paint it myself. Have always wanted to try it. If I screw it up, its only a hood and I can sand it back down.

I'm a stickler for orange peel in paint. No sure if I would have the guts to do a whole car either but, I could try it on the hood. Hmm........ Keep the pics coming Gus. How's the interior?

The wheels are Koning rewind 16x7 in, tires are 205/55R16 front and 225/50R16 rears. The interior of the car is ok other than the seats and dash, Im thinking about putting a new cap on it. but money is being put aside now for a stroker build :D. Im very undecided whether to put a 383 with an auto trans in it...or just stroke the l28 to a 3.1.....so undecided that ive bought all the parts for the stroker already....and I have the v8 sitting in my garage staring at me every day.....but that can be another whole thread later . As far as orange peel, IF you have never painted anything before...expect the worst. I did and I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Its not perfect but few people can say they have painted their own car.....just take your time and think of the

What offset on the rims, 0?

That is what I used to run for tires. Then I decided to run the 225/50-16 up front.

The dash caps have to be worked to make fit right. There are a few threads on this subject. Haven't heard anyone not have fit issues. I had to use my heat gun to get it to fit better but I'm not happy with it. As soon as I don't have anything else to do (yeah right!) I will try restoring my dash.

Painting on a really humid day can give you the orange peel issues because the paint flashes slower. So if you don't give it some time to lay down and flash off, the next coat can cause build up, sagging and orange peel...my 2 cents. I love the transformation and even with some flows the car looks really good and infinitely better.

C

• 2 weeks later...

Did u bondo over some rust? Don't be afraid to say yes because I have some pin holes on my door that bubbled through. Was wondering if I could por from the back and front then paint over it. The rust is in a spot on the doors and fenders that would make it hard for me to repair with metal

Hey Gus, have you done any color sanding and buffing yet?

I started sanding the stock hood I have for my Z and its a lot of work! If these things were plentiful I would have scrapped this one because its loaded with little dents and one huge one in the middle near the latch. Not sure how to fix it yet.

Edited by rcb280z

• 2 weeks later...

Did u bondo over some rust? Don't be afraid to say yes because I have some pin holes on my door that bubbled through. Was wondering if I could por from the back and front then paint over it. The rust is in a spot on the doors and fenders that would make it hard for me to repair with metal

Yup, no money or time for all the metal work needed. The car is In the garage so I figure it would take a while for the rust to come through

Hey Gus, have you done any color sanding and buffing yet?

I started sanding the stock hood I have for my Z and its a lot of work! If these things were plentiful I would have scrapped this one because its loaded with little dents and one huge one in the middle near the latch. Not sure how to fix it yet.

No sanding yet Im taking 12 credits and have a weekend job so that means I dont have ANY TIME AT ALL to do the things I like  :( maybe during thanksgiving break ill be able to do some sanding. If your hood is dented bad I would look for another hood, specially if you expect a good outcome. I found this hood for $30 on craigslist ....had no rust compared to my original hood, but once I started sanding I started to see it had hail damage and dents that I could not see with the paint still on it. Ive even thought about a CF hood.....but I dont know there are other things that that money can go to //////