IGNORED

My Datsun 280Z "Rustoration"

HaZmatt

14 minutes ago, norcal z said:

That's really purdy under there!  And, it's always nice to be able to stop.

Toyota m(aster) diagnostic tech?   :o 

Thanks, my buddy is a tech at an independent Toyota shop so he helps me out on stuff thats over my head 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HaZmatt said:

Thanks, my buddy is a tech at an independent Toyota shop so he helps me out on stuff thats over my head 

I figured it was something like that, but I just couldn't resist.  Friends in (or with) "high places" are good!

• Like 1

I started upgrading my stereo system. Well...actually my factory radio never worked so I guess this will be the first time I will have tunes in the car. I decided to go with a RetroSound head unit and (4) Polk Audio 5.25 speakers. I know it wont be crazy loud, but I just wanted something to listen to while i'm cruisin. The head unit is pretty cool, it has the classic look but will play bluetooth, usb, Sirius, etc. and has preamp outputs if I later decide to install an amp and sub.

The front speakers will be mounted in Dereks kick panels and the rears will be in the back factory locations.

20170731_182626.jpg

Got the head unit installed

20170731_205542.jpg

20170731_205555.jpg

Edited by HaZmatt
  • Like 1

HaZmatt, I just finished me stereo install with those 5,25" Polk Audio speakers in Derek's pods up front and have the same Retrosound head unit. Since I'm also running 4" Infinity Kappas under the quarter windows and 6 x 9 Infinity Kappas in the MSA rear housing I had to add a Kenwood amp. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post that set-up because it really is the best sounding stereo I've had in any car.

You're gonna love those Polk Audio in the front!

20170718_194036.jpg

7 minutes ago, dmorales-bello said:

HaZmatt, I just finished me stereo install with those 5,25" Polk Audio speakers in Derek's pods up front and have the same Retrosound head unit. Since I'm also running 4" Infinity Kappas under the quarter windows and 6 x 9 Infinity Kappas in the MSA rear housing I had to add a Kenwood amp. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post that set-up because it really is the best sounding stereo I've had in any car.

You're gonna love those Polk Audio in the front!

20170718_194036.jpg

Thats good to hear! I'm glad you're happy with them. I might end up running an amp later on if I want a little more uumph. Your head unit install turned out great!

If it's not too late, you might want to consider going with just a set of speakers up front and a sub in the back. Rear fill can cause some cancellation and reflection issues unless you're running active and have a bit of talent with a DSP. (I'm anxious to put a system in mine, but have more important things to do!)

30 minutes ago, HaZmatt said:

Thats good to hear! I'm glad you're happy with them. I might end up running an amp later on if I want a little more uumph. Your head unit install turned out great!

I did a bunch of work to get the faceplate supplied by Retrosound to look more like the 280Z original. I'm still planning to have the letters laser engraved above each knob but haven't found a local shop that will do it.

13 minutes ago, charliekwin said:

If it's not too late, you might want to consider going with just a set of speakers up front and a sub in the back. Rear fill can cause some cancellation and reflection issues unless you're running active and have a bit of talent with a DSP. (I'm anxious to put a system in mine, but have more important things to do!)

That's a very valid point. Only the front and rear speakers are being pumped through the amplifier. The rear Infinity Kappa 6x9 speakers are being used strictly as "subwoofers"  and the middle 4" Infinty Kappas are wired directly off the head unit (bypassing the amp). Playing with the gain and crossover settings the system sounds amazing. I'll go into a little more detail once I write it up this weekend.