IGNORED

77 280z running like poop

ZDrummerGuy

For idle, would adjusting the AFM air bypass to make the car run lean with zero extra resistance work?. Then you could add some fuel with the Pot to richen it and get Stoich or more at idle.

Adjusting the AFM tension spring to make the car run lean throughout the mid-range and high end, then add fuel with the Pot should work . Or am I missing something?

Chickenman. You are right. Thats mentioned in the tweak on Atlanticz although its not detailed. Mine was already lean so I calibrated the AFM according to the techtips on Atlanticz and I ran the potentiometer to the center console so I could tune while driving it around in the summer.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/tempsensorpot/index.html

I thought you couldn't adjust it on the lean side. If you are adding resistance aren't you making it run richer?

Bob, I think your assumption is correct. I have never heard of a ECU drifting to the rich side. The potentiometer will make it richer and won't make a lean condition worse.

Chas

Thanks for verifying that Chas. I knew adding the pot inline would only "Richen" the mixture because you are adding resistance. Just as corroded connections would do.

Unless I'm missing something according to post 10, "but be careful not to run too lean", tells me he is able to adjust lean with the potentiometer. Which is what I was referring to in post 12. Not AFM adjustment. 

Mine was lean and ran bad upto 2,500 rpms, bucking and sputtering, then it would start pulling.  The adjustable potentiometer made it behave throughout the rpms.

A mechanic friend told me that clamping the return line built up more fuel pressure and made it run better, he said I needed a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.  But that wasn't the case and saved me about $145.

• Like 1