IGNORED

Engine Bay black or body color?

TARDIS

Hello,

I just picked up a 71 240Z series I with all matching numbers. The only thing not matching is the color. I have not decided what color I am going with because the red that was sprayed in the engine compartment area is still pretty good. I'm planning on using OR-15 to coat the bottom of the chassis and interior floors. Probably going to do the engine bay as well. Believe it or not, there's absolutely no rust holes or spots in the engine compartment but coating it prevents future rots if any develops. So my question is this......from a collectors point of view, is it better to match the body color or should I black it out with the rust preventive coating that dries gloss black?

Black paint in the engine bay always looks like you are trying to hide something to my eye. Besides, if you are are considering it from a collectors pov then the whole car (engine bay included) should be painted whatever colour it was when it rolled off the assembly line. If you what to paint the car a different colour then just make sure you get the best job done that you can afford.

Oh, and welcome to forum! You won't find a better place for Z info.

Chris

I would go with the body colour. Thats the way it came from the factory and the way everyone expects it to be.

I have the same problem as rcb280Z. My engine bay is 305 light metallic blue and the rest is some kind of red the PO painted. It a hassle to do the engine bay, but eventually I do it and the body the same colour.

Welcome to the club.

Chas

Thank you all for the welcome and suggestions. It sound's like I'll just be keeping the red paint. I have yet to check to see if it's actually Datsun paint code used by the PO so when I get new skin I'll have to somehow match it if it's not.

26th-Z, why will OR-15 be bad? Do you recommend something else in lieu of it? I know I want to seal the undercarriage and interior panels for sure just to prevent future rusts.

Tardis, I'm assuming you are talking about POR-15. My comment comes from a "collector's point of view". I doubt any "collector" is going to purchase a car covered up in POR-15; I wouldn't. POR-15 does not stop the rusting process. It is an encapsulator, meaning that rust may continue, unnoticed, beneath a material that is near impossible to remove. I suggest that you clean out the body seams, reseal them and paint the surface - just as it was done at the factory 40 years ago.

In my area, all engine bays are blacked-out, because they're all vintage muscle cars.

I like it black, because it hides some dirt, the black wire bundles are less visible, and if I need to touch up the paint, I have a few spare cans.

I think it highlights the blue engine block with all the cast and polished aluminum parts.