IGNORED

I open myself for you criticism!

ksechler

When you dolly a seam like that it typically works best to use a fairly flat dolly on the exterior of the door. With the door inside facing up use a round face or square face body hammer to roll the edge down. Lots of light strikes working up and down the edge. Try to roll the entire length at the same time. Once it's rolled down fairly close use a body hammer with a chisel face and roll the area close to the door up good and closed. When you hold the dolly on the exterior try to hold it under the area where the inner skin meets the out skin to reduce damage to the outside of the new patch. Part of the problem I have run into with this is the new Tabco panels are fairly thick especially when compared to some areas on these cars, so sometimes this is easier said than done... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

When you dolly a seam like that it typically works best to use a fairly flat dolly on the exterior of the door. With the door inside facing up use a round face or square face body hammer to roll the edge down. Lots of light strikes working up and down the edge. Try to roll the entire length at the same time. Once it's rolled down fairly close use a body hammer with a chisel face and roll the area close to the door up good and closed. When you hold the dolly on the exterior try to hold it under the area where the inner skin meets the out skin to reduce damage to the outside of the new patch. Part of the problem I have run into with this is the new Tabco panels are fairly thick especially when compared to some areas on these cars, so sometimes this is easier said than done... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice!

I'm pretty much current now.  Working on the driver side door and hood this weekend.  Here are some out of sequence pictures of the roof and rear car body work.  I did the sugar scoops last weekend, but didn't take any pictures.  Sometimes I forget... :-)

post-22075-0-34971500-1449281241_thumb.jpost-22075-0-51080800-1449281247_thumb.jpost-22075-0-52673700-1449281253_thumb.jpost-22075-0-44153600-1449281259_thumb.jpost-22075-0-33878900-1449281265_thumb.jpost-22075-0-44332400-1449281271_thumb.jpost-22075-0-68837000-1449281277_thumb.jpost-22075-0-77285300-1449281283_thumb.jpost-22075-0-08711000-1449281290_thumb.jpost-22075-0-95187000-1449281295_thumb.jpost-22075-0-71678200-1449281312_thumb.jpost-22075-0-76088400-1449281318_thumb.jpost-22075-0-92239600-1449281324_thumb.j

• Like 1

WOW. I wish I had the talent and patience to body work and skim coating like that.

Ill be using this thread as a step by step instruction when I do mine. Im planning on stripping it down, painting the inside and engine bay, then bring it to a body shop to paint the outside.

Looks like your four leeged friend has been admiring your work too.

Body work isn't really that hard if you are decent working with your hands. You need to be able to feel imperfections and not be opposed to lots of blocking and dirty work. I enjoy doing it when I have the time...I think painting well is much harder than filling and leveling, because you can always add a little more filler or sand a little longer. Painting is more like golf, it's hard to paint well when you only do it twice a year. Once you mess up paint it's much harder to fix...

Body work isn't really that hard if you are decent working with your hands. You need to be able to feel imperfections and not be opposed to lots of blocking and dirty work. I enjoy doing it when I have the time...I think painting well is much harder than filling and leveling, because you can always add a little more filler or sand a little longer. Painting is more like golf, it's hard to paint well when you only do it twice a year. Once you mess up paint it's much harder to fix...

Total agreement. Painting is so hard that even the very best pros rarely (if ever) get it absolutely perfect. But no amount of talent will make a paint job look great if the body prep isn't up to par.

Edited by dmoralesbello
  • Like 1

I agree. Thats why I don't plan on painting the outside. Engine bay and reserve wheel area on't matter that much if its not perfect.

I did the rear bumper body work and it took me a long time to get it right. Its painted, butIll sand it back again when the time comes.

Sorry for highjacking your thread ksechler. Just comparing my sub standards to the great job your doing.