IGNORED

Vintage Races at MidOhio June 28-30 2013

TomoHawk

Higuys,

The annual vintage races are coming up in a few weeks at the MidOhio sportscar course in central Ohio :love: June 28 - 30, 2013

This year's featured marque is "American Muscle" but those guys are there every year...

The thing that would interest people like you all, would be the Car Corral for the S30s/roadsters, and the hospitality tent that the Columbus guys put up with the grill, refreshments, and a great view of Pit Road, and the opportunity to show off your car during the lunch break when they do show-laps.

Also, there will be the "2Bad Challenge" with BMW/Alphas/Datsuns, and the BMWs want to win bad this year because the Datsuns always win. :)

I'm getting a room nearby and I'm planning on going for all three days; Friday I go for recon purposes (freebies, camera spots, 'famous racers'/autographs,

and girls ;) ), Saturday there is the hospitality tent and qualifying with some racing and girls, and Sunday is all racing, with a judged car show and more freebies & girls.

Black Gold Man is meeting us there for sure on Sunday, but you all are invited.

There are still rooms available at every hotel, motel, and Inn in the area (Mansfield, Gilion, Mt. Gilead) for $50 - $99 a night.

I'll see you there Sunday! I'll take a CZCC shirt, but I usually have a shirt with the Datsun logo on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would offer a few remarks from the Zed's point-of-view:

It rained a little each afternoon, but it wasn't too bad; it made things interesting. Black Gold Man, from Detroit, was there Friday and gave me a driven-tour of the paddock while it rained Friday.

I met a Hungarian food-vendor lady that made food specially for me (a pan-fried fish sandwich with onions& cheese, and hand-made omelette's with extra mushrooms, onions and cheese, free coffee refills.) I didn't meet any celebrities even tho some people were talking about John Morton.

I had the hospitality tickets, so I got a fancy lunch Sat. & Sun. with a cold beer. I even got to church Saturday evening (there was a church close to the track on the way to the hotel) and the priest saw my wristbands when I was leaving, and asked me if I was at the races. Then on Sunday, a guy stopped by to say HI because he remembered my car from the church parking lot.

The 2BAD challenge was shortened to only 12 laps to try to get back on schedule.

I got a parade lap of the track at a reasonable speed (top speed 80 on the straight, 25 on the turns) and after the carousel turn, they turn you into the paddock area and the I saw the guys with the 240Zs checking me out. A few more laps were expected, but they were behind schedule from a couple cars into the tires and some oil, so we only got the one lap, but I had the computer going and got some video. Saturday's British cars got about 6 laps, then to the paddock.

At the Councours show, I actually got some votes and the judges gave me a good score. There were extra souvenirs, and a little kid brought two to my car (I was in the post-1978 category, with all the new cars like Corvettes, MB, Porsche :disappoin I thought it was an event for vintage cars? What's the 2008 Porsche doing in the corral?? so I felt like I got a trophy of sorts. ZROC got the club participation trophy- again. They had 20 cars there. After that, the place cleaned out.

I got home Sunday in time for the usual Sunday night cruise-in in, and people kept asking about the wristbands ("you need them to go on the track") ;)

So we will look forward to net year's Vintage weekend at MidOhio.

How!? You had 50 extra LBS. of mud, and all the stuff! LOL You would probably have spilled your coffee and hit the tyres. Mine was safe in the cup holder. Too bad you didn't make it to the 2008 ZCON, when we did (low speed) laps for a hour while the (racers) were on their lunch break.

Edited by TomoHawk

The only way I'd go through Detroit is by going up the river on a fast boat.

In a way, I was not impressed by the way you saw so many modern cars at MidOhio. Since it is a "vintage race," I'd be expecting cars to be at a minimum of 35 years old, or cars raced as late as 1978. The SVRA caters obviously to cars from the 50s to the present-day. the Goodwood Revival would be a good example of vintage racing.

Edited by TomoHawk