IGNORED

Antenna Rebuild / Restore

JLPurcell

Many thanks to all for the wealth of useful information here!  I am in the process of replacing the nylon line in a '77 antenna and was making good headway until I tried to separate the mast tube from the main housing.  The two screws finally gave up their hold under heat but the tube isn't popping out as easily as I had hoped.  Before I go at it again, I thought I should double check that the mast tube on the later models does in fact slip in to the housing (which appears to be the cast) and isn't threaded at the base.  Any handy insight would be appreciated.

Edited by chaskill

I had one that was so corroded that I simply could not get the mast out of the lower housing. I finally resorted to the brute force and ignorance method. Now that I've done that once and know what I'm dealing with, I might be able to come up with something a little less destructive next time (if there ever is a next time).

But since I had no idea what I was doing,  I cut it off and mangled the shite out of it until it came out.  LOL   :
P1040165.JPG

P1040166.JPG

P1040168.JPG

Ouch!  I'm sorry for your loss, Captain Obvious.  Thanks for the helpful pics though.  That's what I was suspecting I might be up against, but glad I checked.  I may try a drop of vinegar if another round of heating doesn't work.

11 hours ago, chaskill said:

Ouch!  I'm sorry for your loss, Captain Obvious.  Thanks for the helpful pics though.  That's what I was suspecting I might be up against, but glad I checked.  I may try a drop of vinegar if another round of heating doesn't work.

Well it wasn't a total loss, but it was one of those project steps which should have taken fifteen seconds turned into an hour of work. After the BFI removal, I cleaned everything up and made an "adapto-matic" extension to replace the original cut off portion and put the length back to where it should be.

My aluminum adapter:
P1040253.JPG

Goop it up inside with silicone and put it back together:
P1040254.JPG\

I actually made two adapters, but I don't remember exactly why. Either I needed to change diameters to use the mast from a different antenna, or it was simply "I cut it twice and it's still too short". Been too long to remember that detail, but in the end, the mast looked like this and it worked great:
P1040255.JPG

So like so many projects, it wasn't a total loss, but it took way longer than it should have because of unforeseen surprises.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I managed to get the mast out using this penetrating liquid.

IMG20200625180149.jpg

But I cannot extend all parts of the mast. I can extend a few but not all.. I tried putting more liquid wrench into the mast itself and left it a few days but still didn't work.

I also couldn't remove the mast tube from the body either.. I've tried a propane torch to heat it and penetrating fluid but so far no joy... any other ideas?

IMG20200625180122.jpg

IMG20200626151316.jpg

I also got thinking about potential mast replacements.. for the arrow tip...

A few are on eBay for $16.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Antenna-AM-FM-Radio-Replacement-Mast-Cable-Cord-For-95-98-Nissan-240SX/323185742673?epid=20017502835&hash=item4b3f5f1351:g:JTkAAOSwnklawuIx

This 1 looks close...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-POWER-ANTENNA-ROD-MAST-FOR-NISSAN-240SX-300ZX-MAXIMA-STANZA-1989-1996/223859901620?hash=item341f1704b4:g:IQYAAOSwydpeIpFN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Antenna-Aerial-AM-FM-Radio-Replacement-Mast-Cord-92-03-Mitsubishi-Diamante/133089766376?hash=item1efcc4abe8:g:7~EAAOSwiuFepPQC

If these are made of stainless could you dremmel them into an arrow tip shape? As a potential replacement?s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

I'm thinking if this is made of stainless you could shave it down (to required profile) and then polish it up again ?

1 hour ago, Gav240z said:

I managed to get the mast out using this penetrating liquid.

IMG20200625180149.jpg

But I cannot extend all parts of the mast. I can extend a few but not all.. I tried putting more liquid wrench into the mast itself and left it a few days but still didn't work.

I also couldn't remove the mast tube from the body either.. I've tried a propane torch to heat it and penetrating fluid but so far no joy... any other ideas?

IMG20200625180122.jpg

IMG20200626151316.jpg

I also got thinking about potential mast replacements.. for the arrow tip...

A few are on eBay for $16.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Antenna-AM-FM-Radio-Replacement-Mast-Cable-Cord-For-95-98-Nissan-240SX/323185742673?epid=20017502835&hash=item4b3f5f1351:g:JTkAAOSwnklawuIx

This 1 looks close...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-POWER-ANTENNA-ROD-MAST-FOR-NISSAN-240SX-300ZX-MAXIMA-STANZA-1989-1996/223859901620?hash=item341f1704b4:g:IQYAAOSwydpeIpFN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Antenna-Aerial-AM-FM-Radio-Replacement-Mast-Cord-92-03-Mitsubishi-Diamante/133089766376?hash=item1efcc4abe8:g:7~EAAOSwiuFepPQC

If these are made of stainless could you dremmel them into an arrow tip shape? As a potential replacement?s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

I'm thinking if this is made of stainless you could shave it down (to required profile) and then polish it up again ?

@Captain Obvious

The mast will come apart the tip of the antenna is screwed on take that off and you can slide the attenna apart.  The threads are small so use a little heat on the tip to loosen a little.  I took mine apart to replace the string see the link.

• Like 1

Making a mast tip from scratch should be a relatively easy task on a lathe. I might be convinced to give it a go if someone has a sample to use as a pattern.

As for getting the mast out of the body, all I can do is assure you that there's nothing holding it in other than corrosion.

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Making a mast tip from scratch should be a relatively easy task on a lathe. I might be convinced to give it a go if someone has a sample to use as a pattern.

I'll put one in the mail for this endeavor tomorrow Cap'tn.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

No charge I imagine. He works on tips, like a mohel.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1