IGNORED

Engine will only run above 4000 RPM. Carbs or timing?

grannyknot

L28 engine with triple SK/OER carbs, running beautifully last fall.

Transplanted the engine into 1970 240z using the same ignition setup.

Have not altered timing or carb adjustment. I did adjust the valves but only a couple were out.

When I start the engine I have to floor it to keep it going, if I let rpms get under 4000 it dies with back firing through the carbs,

new RX7 fuel pump working fine.

Help please.

Thanks,

Chris

back firing through carb, can be running to rich or to lean

ignition timing off

leaking valves ( but not assuming that )

I dont know much about SK/OER carbs, but it sounds like a mixture problem.

Like Zed Head said, with no load it should get close to red line easy with a little amount of fuel.

Thinking out of the box: could it be a blocked mufler? Causing exhaust backpressure. A rag of something that fell down the pipe and now blocking the mufler. Although this would probably let you idle but not rev so high.

Chas

L28 engine with triple SK/OER carbs, running beautifully last fall.

Transplanted the engine into 1970 240z using the same ignition setup.

Have not altered timing or carb adjustment. I did adjust the valves but only a couple were out.

When I start the engine I have to floor it to keep it going, if I let rpms get under 4000 it dies with back firing through the carbs,

new RX7 fuel pump working fine.

Help please.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

You may be able to get some "hands on" help with this by posting on OntarioZcar. I'm sure someone with the required knowledge would be willing to stop by.

Can't wait to see the car out!

Well I have tried alot of things today, none of them improved the situation.

Checked the muffler for obstruction, none. Took the carbs idle mixture screws back to base setting 3/4 up from the seat, set the static timing at 10*, no difference, tried the timing at 5* 8* 10* 12* 15* 18*, won't run.

I re-wired the HEI an alternate way as per Blue's article GM HEI retrofit, no difference. The plugs were fouled with gas at one point so removed them, blew out the cylinders, burned off the plugs.

I think I'm going to order a new HEI module & coil and start there.

Zed, I can even keep the engine going at full throttle anymore just starts and dies almost immediately.

Travel'n Man, idle jets are 60F8, main jets 120 (1.2mm), air jets have no markings,pump jet.40mm

Thanks for the help guys, process of elimination.

Chris

I think I'm going to order a new HEI module & coil and start there.

Chris

Worth a shot. Your initial wiring mistake with the extra ground might have damaged it. I damaged one when I forgot to put the one and two plug wires back on and started the engine. I turned the engine off immediately but afterward, the engine would only start with starting fluid, even when hot. I think that the module was damaged enough by stray spark or something I don't understand, to where it wouldn't generate a strong spark with the voltage available during starting. It would run just fine, it just wouldn't start. A new module and I was back to normal.

Anyway, I almost mentioned it before but your symptoms were different. Who knows.

It sounds like you could have way too much fuel. Float level too high, jetting way too rich, etc. Try disabling the fuel pump and run it until the float bowls get low on fuel. If it will idle for a short time before it runs out of fuel it is from too much fuel.