IGNORED

The sudden death of my closest friend Enrique Scanlon (EScanlon)

beandip

I don't know of a better place to post this , because I know many of you know Enrique on this site. He and I met through this vary site 13 years back and have been close friends since. Enrique has been ill for some time but lost the fight yesterday morning at 6:30 while being transported to the Hosp. His death was due to complications and was not expected and a shock to us all. I ask that you please remember him for his kindness and willing to pass on his wealth of knowledge. He was a vary intelligent man and a good friend. The whole Z Nissan community has lost a valuable asset and a positive spokesman .

beandip Gary

Thanks Gary. Enrique was a big help around the club as well as a good friend of mine as well. He helped several times with my Z and showed me many different ways I could improve the website. We had many discussions over the phone about establishing an easier to understand user policy and was directly involved in helping many of the members of this website with their own personal car projects. He was a valuable asset to the Z community as well as someone I could count on.

Enqrique also purchased a '68 Datsun Roadster from me many years ago in order to restore it for his wife. During the summer, we would spend hours talking about restoration techniques and walked slowly around the shows together critiquing other cars. Enrique always made me feel like I was important and he always had new and fresh ideas about how to improve the way we look at these vehicles.

I will miss him.

A toast to Enrique!

E and I started our friendship with an altercation on this very website-about a Z sold by a Z business and seemingly misrepresented-what a fight that was!. It is still in the archives here-toned down by those that moderated before us. As our friendship grew I would go back and revisit it and see just how much E was always himself-that thread was a glimpse of the things that made him a great man, conviction, understanding, and more. He was a great friend, blunt as the end of a Roadsters bumper, but always asking afterward to "pardon my French". He and I spoke regularly, and worked on several projects together through the phone and mail, from Grille emblems, the veneer Dashboard he made for his roadster, and even sharing ideas for the Portland Roadster Show. He was a sounding board for many things for me, and frequently brought up things I had not thought of-drawing from his past sales experience.

He was a man I respected, admired, and asked for advice. He really, honestly wanted to help the Roadster and Z community, and his efforts are all over the archives in a few sites like this one and in the Portland Roadster Show, and in the Zs of everyone who saw the value of his posts.

Edited by hls30.com

I first met E in person in June '05 at Canby. I had bought my first (yellow) Z the previous Fall, and that was my first Datsun gathering. By that time, he had already given me some great advice here on CZCC that probably saved me a ton of money and time. E was easy to talk to, even if you didn't know him. Obviously, lots of Datsun knowledge, both Zs and Roadsters. Not all that much of a mechanic, he was a whiz at body, paint and interior work. And more than happy to share and help. He and I (mostly he) installed my headliner after I had replaced the roof skin on my car, for example. I believe he also painted Gary's yellow car in Gary's garage.

Since E and the Portland area people were 100+ miles away, we didn't get together in person all that often, maybe 2-3 times a year. But we would correspond by email or phone a fair amount.

E was 56 (6 months older than me), and had been ill for some time. He never seemed to let it get him down, always had a good attitude, which we all know is damned hard when you don't feel good. I actually thought he sounded pretty good the last time we talked on the phone, so this was a bit of a shock.

Godspeed, Enriqué! You will be missed.

post-8596-14150822857029_thumb.png

Edited by Arne

I hate to hear of such losses. Hls30.com just posted on his Facebook page about the loss. I had never personally met him but had talked with Enrique on the phone about Z items. I have never heard a bad story or harsh word about him. He was a true Z car fan and would help you or guide you in the right way. I always liked to hear what EScanlon had to say about a subject. We will miss you Enrique.

Cheers !!! to your toast Mike.

He will certainly be missed here.

About a month ago, I fixed the striker on the door of my 260Z following directions he posted several years ago. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to thank him for sharing the tip. He won't be forgotten here anytime soon.