IGNORED

240z Inspection Light Source?

ksbeta

Here's the same lamp, sandblasted, looks alot better allready. I will hold it as a spare. It works perfectly, just not zinc plated, but that would be cheap now to do so..

msmwdz.jpg

Hi Bart, Amazed that old thing came up so clean. I seen you bidding for it on marktplaats. Good buy after all:cool:.

Funny this thread popped up again today! I finally dug out my old inspection light from a box last night. I had ordered a couple of Chas' lovely lenses and wanted to test the fit. His workmanship is beautiful, and the fit is perfect! I'm in awe of his talent.

As for the source for new inspection lights linked by Dr. 240Z, up around post #13... Well, I have that site bookmarked as "New Z parts -- Last Resort Shyster," so beware. The guy often GROSSLY overcharges, and he doesn't take returns. He charged me a mint for some part I found in abundance on ebay about a week later for 1/10 the price (new, genuine Nissan, in the Nissan-labeled Nissan bags). When I approached him about it, his attitude was essentially to go and f*** myself. So buyer beware!

Hi Sarah, I think we have all been burned at least once by this sort of traders. I had one sell me genuine parts, when he should have said; Cheaply made crappy repros copied from originals. He would take them back, but I would have to pay the shipping back to the states. Yer right, $60 shipping to get $50 back:stupid:

Thanks for the compliments.

Chas

If a new lens is needed apparently one can be made by sawing off the bottom rounded end of an empty energy drink tube someone gave me. Unfortunately I don't know the kind of drink it was but I will get that this week from the guy who gave me the empties. The old lens per my measurement is 32.53 MM in DIA and the energy drink tube is 33.78 MM in DIA if I am reading the caliper right. The new lens material can be ground with a bench grinder where the retaining tabs are on the metal body for a tight fit so it won't fall off though there are variations on this idea. One of you may have a better idea on how to captivate the lens that is more like how the original mounted than what I came up with. I plan on sharing anything further on this VIA my blog when I get done with it in case anyone else wants to try this. The old lens shown here and the two engine bay light assemblies came from JY 280ZX's; my car is missing this item. The pictures vary in brightness but were adjusted for maximum readability of the caliper.

Mike

New lens material and old lens:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60525[/ATTACH]

New lens material measures 33.78 DIA:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60526[/ATTACH]

Old lens measures 32.53 MM DIA:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60527[/ATTACH]

Energy drink tube? Is that what they call it now?

• 2 weeks later...

That E-bay unit looks like the P/N 26740-10W00 used in the 720 trucks up to the late 80's. It has the datsun/nissan symbol on the lens where the early model P/N 26740-89902 doesn't seem to have it.

Last year you could still get them through Nissan for $40 all be it with some searching. Now the NOS seems to be getting harder to find.

• 1 year later...

Chas, I am very much interested in your inspection light lenses. - As an engineer, I appreciate very much your story of how you procured the equipment an the developed the process. - As a person in need, I was happy to come across your posting. I recently crumbled the original lens on a friend's '81 ZX. Needless to say, I feel really really bad about it & want to fix the light. Do you have any on hand that can be purchased? If not, would you be willing run another batch? The pricing that you discussed in your original posts are very attractive, but I can understand if the pricing needs to change. With best regard ... and with fingers crossed for luck,TAMU_PackratEagle Lake, Texas. USA

Edited by tamu_packrat