IGNORED

Nice Survivor!

JLPurcell

The finishers shown in your second picture in the front would be correct for the 240z up to about 7/72, and the one in back for cars up to about 7/73.

Hi Dan:

The one in Front has longer tail pipe than the one in back. The 73 Z's had rear bumpers that were moved out from the body. Seems odd that they would use a shorter tail pipe for 73. Can you tell us more about this?

thanks,

Carl B.

Hi Dan:

The one in Front has longer tail pipe than the one in back. The 73 Z's had rear bumpers that were moved out from the body. Seems odd that they would use a shorter tail pipe for 73. Can you tell us more about this?

thanks,

Carl B.

Hello Carl,

When you refer to the tail pipe, above, are you making reference to the tail pipe "finisher" which is tacked onto the exhaust pipe extention at the rear of the muffler?

If so, given the fact that the later bumpers extend farther out from the body, yet the tail pipe finishers were shorter, I have no explanation for this. I do recall in a

post from Kats, that he used the later rear muffler assembly, ie., # 20100-N3300, on his car and had to add about 1" to this section of tail pipe so the older finisher

shown in DatsunZGuys picture, ie., rusted longer finisher, would fit correctly. Knowing this, I am assuming that the earlier rear muffler assembly, # 20100-E4100,

had a longer tail pipe section extending from the rear of the muffler to accomodate, and be correct, for the longer finisher.

I understand your reasoning and question, Carl, and this explanation seems to contradict reason given the differences in early and later bumpers. I can tell you that the

earliest exhaust finisher is the longer, mostly black, finisher with a short chrome banding at the tip. I am looking at one still in the wrapper with a part number sticker of

20105-E4100. I always associate the E4100s number as being the earliest.

Carl, you would have been my "Go To" person to flesh this out so, I will still add my disclaimer that this is just the facts as I see them. Perhaps someone living in Lutz

could shed more light on this?

Dan

As a post script, my one other thought is, for whatever reason, the shorter, mostly chrome, finishers may have been used exclusively on muffler tail pipe assemblies supplied to post-

production parts resources found in your local dealership. I say this, because, when looking at part # 20105-E4100 in my parts CD, the inclusive dates are "up to 7/73", and there

is no part number for a later finisher.

Just thought of something else to add to the mystery. When the tail pipe assemblies were available at the parts dept., (and maybe somewhere in the country at some remote

dealship you may still find one) I ordered #20100-E4100. What arrived was an assembly with #20100-N3300 embossed on the bottom of the exhaust tube with the shorter,

chrome finisher attached. When the earlier assembly #20100-E4100 was available over the counter, was the earlier, longer finisher part of the assembly? Why could you purchase

the earlier finisher separately over the counter, and not the later, short finisher?

I'm going to stop, now, because " I'M GETTING CONFUSED"!

So, as you would say Carl, FWIW.

Edited by AZ-240z

I do not believe that it is, and you have to wonder why a Z with only 8K miles needed a new muffler. My White 72 has 80K miles and the original exhaust system - header pipe through muffler. But as stated - you would have to see it in person. Additionally - the condition of the engine does not say "8K" miles either. A friends 72 engine with 16K original miles still looks show ready.

On another thread - I spent several days visiting muffler shops - trying to find the best match to OEM. There are few that are very close.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl, I have asked if they can document the miles on the car.

My experience with Hagerty and other "specialty" insurer's always had this caveat that the car had to be "limited in driving to and from show's or events and not used for daily driving"" which makes the car a trailer/garage queen. Just my 2 cents.

My experience with Hagerty and other "specialty" insurer's always had this caveat that the car had to be "limited in driving to and from show's or events and not used for daily driving"" which makes the car a trailer/garage queen. Just my 2 cents.

There was no such limitations put on my policy. Carl?

My resto-moded 1972 240Z would be lucky to be a #3 car with the modifcations.

With a few pics, Hagarty insured it for 27,500, (what I asked for), without any qustions or reservations. The Hagarty rep on the phone even asked if I wanted to insure it for more...

QUOTE=mjr45;415659]My experience with Hagerty and other "specialty" insurer's always had this caveat that the car had to be "limited in driving to and from show's or events and not used for daily driving"" which makes the car a trailer/garage queen. Just my 2 cents.

Not True - at least with Hagerty. There is no specified mileage limit and the only restriction is that the car can not be used as "transportation". Nor can it be used temporarily in place of your transportation vehicle if it is in the Shop.

Automobile Insurance is sold State To State - and the General Insurance Companies/Carriers aka "Full Line Carriers" have certain legal restrictions/requirement etc specific to every State. They sell the broad line of insurance products - Auto, Home, Liability, Business etc. But there are things that they really can't handle effectively for any number of reasons. Classic Cars/Boats etc are one such category.

That is where Speciality Insurers come in. Classic, Collector and Special Interest Automobiles are a small market and require specialized knowledge. The Speciality Insurers are limited by law to specific insurance products not commonly offered by the Full Line Carriers, but for which there is need.

Cars that you use as daily drivers ie for transportation to/from work, for trips to the shopping mall etc etc must be insured by one of the Full Line Carriers in your State. Cars that you own for pleasure and which are not used as transportation - fall to the Speciality Insurers. The Speciality Insurers usually issue an insurance policy that has an "Agreed Value", where the Full Line Carriers usually issue policies that have "ACV" or "Stated Values". When you have a loss on a Classic Car there is a huge difference in how you deal with either.

With the Policy that Hagerty issues - you can drive your Z for pleasure as much as you want. Drive it cross country to the next Z Car Convention etc. On average Classic Cars are driven less than 3000 miles per year - and the underwriters do watch that over a period of years you average something close to that - that is because miles of exposure on the highway equals "risk".. if everyone drove more the risk would go up and the premiums would too.

I can drive my Z car to work to show it off every once in a while - that is pleasure use. But I can't use it to replace my transportation vehicle {it has to be fully operational sitting a home}.

Always READ you policy - Agents will make off handed remarks that have no force in the policy. Before they issue a policy they may ask you how much you drive the car, what insurance company issues your Auto Insurance for the daily driver {you have to have one}, where the car is kept etc. and not everyone gives the right answers...

On the up side - Classic Car Insurance is about 10% of what my daily drivers cost.. because the loss rate is very low for them.

FWIW,

Carl B.

All this talk about insurance has made my policy feel quite inadequate :o

I only have it covered for what I paid - $4,700 - Just to cover my losses if it were to wreck.

Is it a complete, more or less Stock example? Is it used for pleasure only? Is it garage kept? Do you have another car insured as a Daily Driver? Good driving record? Over the age of 25 with no youthful drivers in the home?

Is it presently insured with a Classic Car Insurance Comany or not?

If it is indeed kept and owned as a Classic Car used for pleasure only - then yes it is under-insured. I'd have an Agreed Value policy on that of at least $12K today. That would assure that if it was damaged it would not be totalled for some minor repairs. Also prices on very clean 240Z's are going up again and they are getting harder to find. It won't be too long before a decend car will cost more than $10K and really nice one will be over $16k.

If you have a regular insurance policy - you may have an "Actual Cash Value" or "Stated Value" Policy. In which case if it was damaged the insurance adjustor would say the car was actually worth $1500.00 - they would total it and settle for something close to $1500.00 {or run you around endlessly - until you settle}. If you have a Stated Value policy it is better - but still up to the adjustor to agree or disagree with the Stated Value. With an Agreed Value on an Classic Car Policy there is no adjustor.. they either fix the car spending up to the Agreed Value - or they send you a check for that Agreed Value and total the car.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck