IGNORED

Nice Survivor!

JLPurcell

Definitely a beautiful example of a very original Z. Don't know if anything near $34K is the right number but I supposed its a good place to start. As Jay and Wayne always say, "they are only original once" and there cannot be very many with that low of mileage and that condition left. Good luck to the seller.

Seeing what it took to restore my 60K mile 72 I see this price as realistic if all stated can be documented. I do know that the maximum insurable value through Hagerty Classic Car Insurance For a early Z car is $32,500.00. I believe that you can have you Z insured for more through Hagerty if you go through an appraisal and approval process.

Hi All,

This car came from the same dealer as mine, they are what they say they are. Mine has about same miles maybe came out of same collection. This car was built 7/73 mine 10/72 and sold in 7/73 my car is considered a 1973 what year car is this car? It is listed as a 1973.

Thanks,

Mark

It's a '73 just as it says. I don't think they give them the new model year until Sept... mine is a '72 built in Sept '71. Plus, if it was a '74 it would be a 260Z.

My 72 has a production date of 7/72 last month of production for the 1972 model year.

Hi All,

This car came from the same dealer as mine, they are what they say they are. Mine has about same miles maybe came out of same collection.

Hi Mark - So your Z has about 8,000 original miles - Wow. Can you Post some Pictures of your Engine Compartment for us.

This car was built 7/73 mine 10/72 and sold in 7/73 my car is considered a 1973 what year car is this car? It is listed as a 1973.

Nothing really to consider - The 73 Model Year Datsun 240Z's sold here in North America started production in 8/72 and ended 8/73. The VINS started with HLS30-120001

FWIW,

Carl B.

Seeing what it took to restore my 60K mile 72 I see this price as realistic if all stated can be documented. I do know that the maximum insurable value through Hagerty Classic Car Insurance For a early Z car is $32,500.00. I believe that you can have you Z insured for more through Hagerty if you go through an appraisal and approval process.

Hi Jerry:

WHAT? When did that happen? Do you recall who at the Hagerty told you that?

Before the Financial Melt down - I know at least 5 serious Collectors that were buying #1 and #2 Condition 240Z - and with a few pictures E-Mailed to hagerty they were insured above $50K with no problem.{no outside appraisal etc}

I worked with Hagerty originally - to get our Original Owner 240Z's insured with Classic Car Policies, with high enough Agreed Values to assure the cars would be repaired rather than totalled in case of a serious accident - most of the 175 Original Owners on our Register carried at least $20K.

Your Z right now should be insured for at least, at the very least for $50K. That certainly would not replace it - but at least that would assure it would be repaired if anything did happen to it.

$32,500 would not begin to buy a true #1 or #2 Condition 240Z.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Seeing what it took to restore my 60K mile 72 I see this price as realistic if all stated can be documented

The pictured Z would not meet the criteria to be classified as a #2 Condition example. The engine is rough - and it would have to pulled and fully restored - all bright and shiny etc. One would have to see the actual condition of the paint and the undercarriage as well. In todays market - nice as it seems to be - it would take a lot of time and effort in addition to several thousand dollars to bring it up to a condition that would command anything over $20K.

Serious Collectors will spend the money for Perfection - but they won't buy a Project and screw around with it. That leaves the subject car to the Enthusiast Market - and right now most Enthusiasts are very conservative with their spending. {I know one offer of $45K has been made for a near perfect 72 Surivor in true #2 Condition - and that hasn't been accepted yet that I know of}

A super low mileage survivor will command a premium even today - but it has to be "Show Ready" with documented mileage etc. to bring over $25K today. I know it is sad... the 73 I finished last year - the original owner had a little over $65K in. But he, like you and other original owners restore their Z's because they have had and loved them for over 40 years.. and they figure they are spending the money on themselves.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Hi Jerry:

WHAT? When did that happen? Do you recall who at the Hagerty told you that?

Before the Financial Melt down - I know at least 5 serious Collectors that were buying #1 and #2 Condition 240Z - and with a few pictures E-Mailed to hagerty they were insured above $50K with no problem.{no outside appraisal etc}

I worked with Hagerty originally - to get our Original Owner 240Z's insured with Classic Car Policies, with high enough Agreed Values to assure the cars would be repaired rather than totalled in case of a serious accident - most of the 175 Original Owners on our Register carried at least $20K.

Your Z right now should be insured for at least, at the very least for $50K. That certainly would not replace it - but at least that would assure it would be repaired if anything did happen to it.

$32,500 would not begin to buy a true #1 or #2 Condition 240Z.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

I am glad that you weighed in on this. I initially, prior to pick up, insured the car for 30K. When I got back a local appraiser took a look at the car and said that it should be insured for no less than 60k. I went back to my agent who called Hagerty and requested the upgrade. They have photos. They said that the most they would insure an S30 for was $32,500 at this time. They said that I could get written appraisals and submit them and they would take a look at it. I have not followed through at this point but after reading your assessment and my local appraisers assessment I believe that I will have to mover forward and see what they say.

Thanks Jerry Purcell

The pictured Z would not meet the criteria to be classified as a #2 Condition example. The engine is rough - and it would have to pulled and fully restored - all bright and shiny etc. One would have to see the actual condition of the paint and the undercarriage as well. In todays market - nice as it seems to be - it would take a lot of time and effort in addition to several thousand dollars to bring it up to a condition that would command anything over $20K.

Serious Collectors will spend the money for Perfection - but they won't buy a Project and screw around with it. That leaves the subject car to the Enthusiast Market - and right now most Enthusiasts are very conservative with their spending. {I know one offer of $45K has been made for a near perfect 72 Surivor in true #2 Condition - and that hasn't been accepted yet that I know of}

A super low mileage survivor will command a premium even today - but it has to be "Show Ready" with documented mileage etc. to bring over $25K today. I know it is sad... the 73 I finished last year - the original owner had a little over $65K in. But he, like you and other original owners restore their Z's because they have had and loved them for over 40 years.. and they figure they are spending the money on themselves.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Once again, thanks for the reality check Carl.

JLP