IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

3 hours ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

At the end it's a super detailed model car of a Japanese Fairlady Z (with L20 engine).

In fact the model represents a 1971 Fairlady 240Z-L 'Deluxe' variant (factory code 'HS30-D') with its stock L24 engine.   

48 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

In fact the model represents a 1971 Fairlady 240Z-L 'Deluxe' variant (factory code 'HS30-D') with its stock L24 engine.   

Hmm You're right, of course. I don't know why i had the L20 on my mind all the time. The model guide clearly shows L24 and the mentioned model:
20240102_143546.jpg

20240102_143603-rotated.jpg

Regular readers may have noticed that i haven't actually restored anything from my 240Z in a while. Well the reasons were various, but it's time to change that again. I thought i start with a simple part which i had prepared to get done since a while. The interieur dome light:
20240106_165101-Kopie.jpg

From the outside it was mainly dirty and scratched, and on the backside you could see the contacts and the bulb metal parts were corroded:
20240106_165109-Kopie.jpg

So first i took it apart
20240106_165421-Kopie.jpg

The bulb fell apart immdiately without even touching it:
20240106_165451-Kopie.jpg

First i gave everything a gentle clean in warm soap-water and tried to avoud water coming close to the switch: 20240106_170520-Kopie.jpg

Next it was time to pull out me secret weapons. I've got an electronics repair background and over the years i've gained a lot of experience which tools and fluids work the best.
Here are a selection of my all-time favourites. Which i all used for this project:
- Kontakt 60: Contact cleaning solvent (I used it a bit on the switch)
- Metarex. Some kind of wool fabric soaked in a metal polish fluid. You rip off a piece and clean your metal surfaces without scratches.
- Contact cleaning strips: Perfect to clean corroded electronic contacts (after corrosion is removed with a brush)
- Novus plastic cleaning and polish kit. Removes larger and smaller scratches from plastic surfaces and lets you get it back nice and glossy again. 20240106_185514-Kopie.jpg

After i cleaned and polished everything and had removed the corrosion with a wire brush, i checked the switch, just to ensure it works fine. Which it luckily did. Probably i should test it BEFORE i do all the work, next time.
20240106_192203-Kopie.jpg

And then assembled it all back together. IKI Japan Dome light switch from the 240Z in all it's glory. Btw. Also found a production date stamp (i guess?) of 3 / 71  on the lamp housing. So it was produced almost a year befor the car got registered in switzerland. While most of the other parts in the car have a production date from end of 1971. It seems like those dome lights were produced in larger batches and then stored before being used. 20240106_192940-Kopie.jpg

And here the backside with the fresh cleaned contacts. Now i only need to get myself a new bulb. which shouldn't be a big problem.
20240106_192949-Kopie.jpg

Now i need to find my next project. I missed actually "finishing" something 🙂

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Patcon said:

Did those contacts come that clean with just the contact cleaner spray??

No, the contact cleaner spray was only used for the switch and not on the wire connecting contacts.

To clean the wire connector contacts, i used
1. A brass wire brush to get rid of the worst surface rust and corrosion,
2. Then used the "Metarex" Metal clean and polish wool to get rid of the remaining dirt (this stuff is incredible!).
3. Towel to clean of the dirt and dust from 1. and 2.
4: Contact cleaning strips to get rid of the remaining fluids and stuff from 1-3 and give it a protecive layer with low electric contact resistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the successful restauration of the dome light, i thought i need another project. I opened a random storage bn and the first thing that fell into my hands was the Airbox.
I'm not even sure if i'm going to use the OEM airbox on the finished car. but i thought it's going to be a fun project anyway. This is how it started:20240108_201238-Kopie.jpg

Afte disassembling it, i quickly went through my various parts collection boxes and found a NOS filter (still in box) and a NOS rubber seal for the airbox. 20240108_201830-Kopie.jpg

The original SU / Hitachi Carb insulators were quite brittly and disappeared once you touched them:
20240108_202234-Kopie.jpg

At first glance i thought it was just dirty, so i gave it a quick wash.  Then i quickly realized that there are many black dots on the "snorkel" that are baked in. Not sure if this is tar from the road, oil stains or some attemt of a "on-the-car" spray paint job. I also ralized that there are some corroded areas, but nothing that can't be fixed.
20240108_204907-Kopie.jpg

While it was drying, i went through my collection of re-plated fasteners and found some of the fasteners in a nicer, shinier version. It's damn handy to have boxes full of Z-bolts which have been replated. 20240108_205125-Kopie.jpg

Aside from the corrosion, there was a damage to the snorkel. Not sure when or how that happened. but aside from looking ugly, it also didn't allow the flap to close completely or evenly. 20240110_193007-Kopie.jpg

So i used my very limited metal hammering skills to get it straight again. Not this is a mid-process photo, that dent on the bottom right side got corrected later too. 20240110_194208-Kopie.jpg

Now the flaps closes nicely again (tent still not fixed).
20240110_194215-Kopie.jpg

After realizing that the rubbers are all toast, and the housing needs a repaint / powdercoat anyway, i decided to remove everything and then get some replacement. 20240110_200606-Kopie.jpg

This is it for part one. More updates will follow. meanwhile i wait for the delivery of some parts Since i need to take it to the paintshop, i will probably postpone the rest of the project a bit until it fits the timeline with other parts that need to be painted.
20240110_201122-Kopie.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Over the past few weeks, i collected random parts from various sellers, which were up for sale cheap or which i was looking for specifically for my build. Let's have a closer look.
20240128_131108-Kopie.jpg

First of all, Some nice parts for the airbox restauration (Stickers and SU-carb insulators):
20240128_131144-Kopie.jpg

Then also got a bunch of OEM Bulbs for the dome light:
20240128_131224-Kopie.jpg

Had to test if my restored dome light works nicely with the new bulb, which it does. Excellent.
20240128_131750-Kopie.jpg

Found a set of Print "Cliches"- Those are basically negatives used in a print-press back in the days: Will also work nicely as stamps, if you want so 🙂
20240128_131840-Kopie.jpg

Also got this OEM NOS Brake repair kit. It only list Skylines and the Laurel C130 on the mark, but i double checked th enumber and it should also fit the S30: 20240128_131907-Kopie.jpg

Then i got two steelies, which were almost for free. I probably won't use them on my car, but since i already had two, i have a full set now, which makes it easier to sell them, and or use them. 20240128_132024-Kopie.jpg

The Production date also fits, so that's a pro. You can see the on ein the picture is slightly dented, but easy to repair. 20240128_132036-Kopie.jpg

Then: Got this super-wobbly OEM front spoiler. It was only 20 bucks and not sure if it is salvageble.
20240128_132247-Kopie.jpg

But i think a pro might maybe fix it with some warm temperature and bending, but let's see. The reason why i bought it, is because it's probably the only one which i've ever seen where the mounts are not Corroded (yet) inside the rubber and has bloated it up. I'm not sure yet what i've going to do with this, but i thought i better secure it, as those original lips have become rare. Even if i don't need it, it makes a funky looking moustache at my garage wall 🙂
20240128_132242-Kopie.jpg

Oh and also got these books. The left one from ebay (which cought my interest because of the euro spec Z on the cover), and the right one from my Mate Florian.
20240116_154604-Kopie.jpg

While flipping through the book on the left (which came from america), had this photo inside from the previous owner of the book. On the back it was noted that it was taken at Christmas 1998 🙂
20240117_1705302-Kopie.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

The Outer wheel arch however was a different story. You can see how many repairs happened here in the history of the car:

Great photo. One of the best I've seen to demonstrate what happens to cars like ours over the years as they're victimized by PO's and bodyshops. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Namerow said:

Great photo. One of the best I've seen to demonstrate what happens to cars like ours over the years as they're victimized by PO's and bodyshops. 

Indeed. Nowadays they're sought after cars, but back then they were just cheap and fun sports cars. So most youngsters who got one of those secondhand didn't invest much for repairs and had it done cheaply.
If you look closesly at the rear quarter in the background on this photo, you also see the approx 2cm thick layer of Bondo that was applied on the outside of the rear quarter after a repair:
IMG_3766-Kopie.jpg

• Agree 1