IGNORED

Exhaust stud lock washers

siteunseen

I'm going to put 2- M10x1.25 Toyota studs in my cylinder head. 1st bolt under thermostat housing and the last bolt before the firewall. Those were wallerd out big enough that I might not have to drill before the thread tap, exageration but they are threadless about 1/4" going in. I don't think Loctite will be enough on the M8x1.25.

What you are saying is correct, somewhat. Deformed thread lock nuts are one shot, you need to replace the nut and stud or bolt if you remove the nut for service work as the thread deformation causes gauling of the male threads which is the locking mechanism.

We have a deformed nut, meaning the thread is slightly out of round, but not so bad as to damage the threads when removed. When you reassemble the nut and stud connection it should go together tightly, meaning you can't turn the nut onto the stud without the use of tools. As long as that is the case you can reuse that hardware, if you can fully engage the male and female threads by hand you need to replace both stud and nut because they are worn out.

Hope this helps.

Ok I have some more info on exhaust studs from my local Nissan Dealer. I carried one of the studs and nut from MSA, M8x1.25, and asked about a M10x1.25 stud and nut. He had some from their 8 cylinder pick-up, #14064-JG30B STUD $1.98, #01223-N0021 NUT $1.06. that matched length wise and the nuts are truly out of round. You can't tighten them past the last 2 threads in the nut without a socket where as the MSA nut would spin all the way down to the shank on their stud. Parts guy said that those nuts were NOT deformed or out of round because they thread down so easy. He said I should mash them with a vice a little to make them out of round or buy the ones he sales. He has been selling Nissan parts since '85 and said that he's never seen a nut you could tighten all the way with your fingers on a manifold stud. Exactly what 5thHorsemann said. I don't think MSA got the right nuts for me, maybe I'm the only one?

post-24724-14150819528287_thumb.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

One could just go and buy such apparently "magical" out of round self locking nuts and use them with the stud of your choice avoiding the dealership. I believe they are just run of the mill conical self locking nuts. Their tips are staked, deforming the end of the conical nut. The entire nut is not "out of round". A favorite supplier of mine is Bel Metric. They have them with and without flanges in either the usual 8x1.25 or 10x1.25 if you use a larger stud.

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-nuts-top-lock-flange-nuts-c-3_54.html?zenid=5pqdalupf8j63msv7pldqra8f6