IGNORED

My Datsun Spirit L28 Build.

Well, um, no, but I do not have a stock shifter to put on it.

It is the short shift kit that MSA sells for Type B 4 speed transmissions. I do not think that would explain why in neutral it is locked in gear do you?

I wonder if during shipping things moved around in there. I could spin the input shaft by hand before I put it in, but could never spin the output shaft. Just figured it was in neutral.

It is looking like I am going to have to pull the damn thing. Not much can be trouble shot with it in the car that is NOT running.

I'm betting the internal shifter linkage is misaligned with the ends of the shift forks. You can kinda see the part I'm talking about in the following photos I took when I rebuilt my 4-speed b-box earlier this year.

post-20531-14150819526724_thumb.jpg

There are three little U-shaped parts that attach to the shift forks. The shift linkage moves these forks back and forth to switch the gears. If you don't align the shift linkage correctly into the middle of these three U-shaped bits when you put the tail section on the transmission then the shifter will jam and you can get the symptoms you describe. I had a very similar result when I wrongly installed my tail section. It's an easy fix. Just remove the tail section, realign the shift forks and put the tail section back on. Unfortunately you will have to remove the transmission to do so. If this is you problem, it should be covered by your warranty in my opinion. If you don't want to go through the trouble of shipping it back I'd be happy to give you a hand. I'm just a few miles down the road.

post-20531-14150819526185_thumb.jpg

Here is the shifter hole... nice and tight at first.

7549034808_e6ae02c795_b.jpg

Enter the tin snips!

7549034476_25049313cb_b.jpg

And whala.... the new shifter opening is nice and roomy, plant of room for the shifter to move around.

7549034076_20a50156ea_b.jpg

UPDATE:

Called Zcarsource.com

left a message, we will see what they do when they call me back. Stay Tuned!

Unfortunelty, your stock console will probably not work with the shifter that far foward--the domino effect!

......which is why I went back with the "A" tranny in my 71. Looking forward to seeing how you make your early console fit.

I certainly hope I can get the original console to fit. I may have to get creative with a blow torch and do some bending to the shifter, but I am not there yet. I have to conquer this transmission demon. I am not looking forward to my phone conversation with Zcarsource. I hope they surprise me.

UPDATE:

I called Z car source and talked to Scott. VERY nice guy, as always. They had a pow wow and decided that they would honor their warranty no questions asked, BUT they do not think they will have to. In fact all my symptoms seem to indicate some rods shifted during shipping (sort of like Steve said previously)

He said all I have to do is remove the black cover shown below in the transmission to the right (the B type) and push the rods in by hand and it should free everything up.

7481518824_aa5e7fbde1_b.jpg

I am assuming the rods are behind that plate shown here

post-16285-14150819527614_thumb.jpg

I will drop the transmission by itself tonight and try this, AND report back.

Madkaw, taking your suggetion to heart, I also asked them to assemble a complete OEM linkage for this transmission so I can ensure it is not MSA's short shifter kit mucking up the works.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi