IGNORED

Price - How low is too low?

Hardway

So I have my '77 5spd 280z up for sale. It truly runs great, super smooth, plenty of power, handles well, and stops confidently. Its biggest drawback is rust. It has some on the rockers as seen in the pics in my ad, the passenger side floor pan has a section that is rusted through, and the battery tray is a 6 on a scale of 1-10. The frame rails are in excellent shape as well as the hatch area. I am asking $3200 but its negotiable. I like the car but really want a 240z. My question is, what do you guys think is a reasonable number on it but not giving it away? I have a tentative offer of $2800 if the guy sells his other car. That's about as low as I want to go on it as I feel that is truly what its worth. However with the influx of 280z's coming on the market I may have to go lower if this guy does not come through. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

My CL ad with pics and info: http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2864732902.html

Guess you would need to find someone into the 280s, I would imagine many people are like you and feel if they are getting a Z they might as well get a 240, so it basically kills the 280 value for most, but there is plenty out there that like the 280s. Rust is always hard to figure into a price without giving it a good looking over, if I was to look at it I would see nothing but cha ching cha ching cha ching once a paint job was due. And when getting these old cars lets face it, nobody wants a rust bucket with bad paint, its kind of pointless to me to have a classic car that looks like hell. Its kind of hard to dish out good money for something you know you will just be turning around and dropping another 2k or way more just to get bodywork and paint done. Just by going off your ad and description I probably wouldnt even consider looking at it until the price was down to around $1500. Thats just me tho, may be someone in your area that sees a shining gem in your car and you just need to take your time with the sale.

I am in the same boat as Wade. Because your Z doesn't have curb appeal and needs rust repair, it reduces the number of people that would even consider buying it considerably. If you don't want to invest in fixing the rust, paint and mirrors, I think you would are doing well to sell it for $2800.

Take the $2800 and run. If you paid someone to do all the rust repair and paint and added that to the $2800, do you think you'd recover the fix $$?

But wait!! There was a 280 on here awhile back valued at like $19K..... oh, yeh that was by the owners insurance guy..... Sorry.

C'mon Spring. Some of this stuff is making me goofy.

It's a little bit disingenuous to suggest a value for Hardway's car when you obviously don't like the 280Zs. You're just taking the opportunity to trash the 280Z style: "find someone into the 280s", "no curb appeal". Why even respond if they're not your thing. Especially Healey Z, who drives a Healey!

Hating is not pretty...

Edit - the post was intended as a reply to #2 and #3. But still, if you don't like 280Zs, you can't really judge their value to someone that does..

Edited by Zed Head

I got my 77 5 speed for $300. Now I would not go that low. Mine was not running but it had about the same interior and body condition. It's hard to say, considering how much money someone else would want to put into it, I would say 2800 is more then reasonable.

I appreciate the comments guys and I see where you are coming from. You are right, the 280 crowd is not as big as the 240 crowd. However I have seen some really nice 280z's sell for $8K - $11K, and that's sell, not just for sale. I think $2800 is good too and fair considering how good the car runs, if I can get it I will run with it but the offer I think has very little chance of actually happening. I think for me I just need to determine a number where I keep the car, fix it, paint it, and enjoy it. I know a really good 240z will run me $6K - $8K but the 280 may be worth keeping too.

I would agree with 72 OJ in that you're car is a canidate for fixing up. Think twice about the bumpers, Your's look to be in really good shape. Or put 240 bumpers on and sell the ones you have, those bumper ends alone are worth money to some people.

Why even respond if they're not your thing. Especially Healey Z, who drives a Healey!

Harway, the original poster asked for thoughts and opinions. I provided mine and Hardway can take or leave it. Because you don't share the same thought as I, does not mean I am hating, I am simply providing an opinion based upon my knowledge. I will have to say that I probably have had more Datsuns in my garage than you, but I also probably have a good number of years on you too.

The fact that the car has not sold at $3100 says that the car is not being marketed to its best potential or that this is the value. Hardways ad seems reasonably well written and there are similar cars for sale in his area for around that same price point. That being said, my opinion (which Hardway asked for) is that I would take the $2800 if it were presented.

Fix it and keep it. Even if you pic up a 240 you are going to have a lot of work to do. The 280 is very close to the 240 and with a little love it can be every bit as nice. I agree it's priced to high. I got mine for $2200.

The day I bought it home, barely running with a few rust spots..

3152867b.jpg

After learning how to weld and 1 year later

ee74c146.jpg