IGNORED

Bolts!

Jetaway

I would have preferred to name this thread Nuts! but that wouldn't be accurate.;)

I'm replacing all the bushings and any worn-out parts on the front end of my 1972. While it came apart easy enough, considering, several of the bolts have damaged threads and I'd need to replace them. What I am unsure about is how exact the replacement must be, specifically the length of the unthreaded portion of the shaft. On the transverse link / control arm mounting bolt, it is pretty clear that the unthreaded portion is necessary to enable the bushing free movement around the shaft. But most of the others don't have a free-movement requirement, with the unthreaded portion simply in a smooth-bore hole. Could I use full-length threaded bolts in this case? Or what am I overlooking as to why I couldn't use a full-length thread bolt?

Chris

I would always try to use as close to the one you took out, if you believe them to be original, that should prevent complications caused by thread where there shouldn't be etc......Why take the chance, and make sure you use the proper grade or better!

We have Bolt Supply Wharehouse here and they carry most bolts to change or upgrade.

Just my 2cents

Brad

I would always try to use as close to the one you took out, if you believe them to be original, that should prevent complications caused by thread where there shouldn't be etc......Why take the chance, and make sure you use the proper grade or better!

We have Bolt Supply Wharehouse here and they carry most bolts to change or upgrade.

Just my 2cents

Brad

Oh yes, the famous American Trans-Contential Worldwide Bolt, Nut, and Miscellaneous Fastener Distribution and Retail Sales Company. God, the internet is great.;)

More seriously, what would I look for? Fur example:

The compression rod to control arm bolts measured as M10 X 1.25 X 43 (43, yes, I compared it with a known 45 and it was indeed a bit shorter) with 30 mm of thread. Is there a nomenclature used to designate a bolt with 13 mm's unthreaded, or conversely, to indicate that only 30 mm of the 43 mm length is threaded that distinguishes this bolt from one threaded the entire length of the shaft?

Chris

Oh yes, the famous American Trans-Contential Worldwide Bolt, Nut, and Miscellaneous Fastener Distribution and Retail Sales Company. God, the internet is great.;)

More seriously, what would I look for? Fur example:

The compression rod to control arm bolts measured as M10 X 1.25 X 43 (43, yes, I compared it with a known 45 and it was indeed a bit shorter) with 30 mm of thread. Is there a nomenclature used to designate a bolt with 13 mm's unthreaded, or conversely, to indicate that only 30 mm of the 43 mm length is threaded that distinguishes this bolt from one threaded the entire length of the shaft?

Chris

Typically you can buy fully threaded or partially threaded. Standard partially threaded bolts typically have a range of threaded length defined by a standard.

http://www.indfast.org/Default.asp?

As an example the standard M10 x 1.5 x 45 from McMaster can have a thread length from 26 to 33.5 mm.

Manufacturers can make custom bolts and specify whatever they want but you probably won't find those at McMaster Carr or any of the other fastener resellers.

You probably can find something close enough.

Steve

Check for size BUT also for grades! I've taken bolt in 10.9 form & nuts in grade 10.

I went thru the process last year, 100% of my suspension bolts are new. I wouldn't use also old bolts if you have the choice ;)

I did my own researchs to gather all the data, did a group buy locally (in France) to spread the cost with high volume, full suspension kit came up at 50€ total per person :)

See attached the file that should be helpful for everyones ;)

post-15411-14150817619801_thumb.jpg

post-15411-14150817620452_thumb.jpg

Credits are also for z240 on Hybridz who help me making this list

=> Suspension Bolts

I had a similar issue when rebuilding my calipers recently. One of the bolts holding the calipers together had a stripped head and once I managed to get it out, it needed to be replaced.

I did not check with Nissan directly so it could still be available from them, and as many have already said the selection at McMaster is a little limited for these kinds of special nuts and bolts. This particualr one was unique in that the head conformed to the Japanese bolt standard (called JIS) and is smaller than the equivalent hex grade bolt head.

So I finally ran across an on line company called BelMetric and they specialize in metric fasteners. It turns out that they actually stocked the JIS bolts I needed for my caliper rebuild and so I ordered them from this company. Got them in about 4 days and they were exactly what I needed.

You may want to check them out as well. Website is:

https://www.belmetric.com/

Hope that helps.

Mike.