IGNORED

Finally got one...now to make it mine: 1973 240z Refresh / Personalisation

73str86

It's been theorized that wrapping the factory fuel line will aggravate the problem by trapping heat in the metal lines that may be coming from the mounting points on the engine. My own experience with SU's at higher elevation was a slight miss until I leaned them out 1/2 turn. Let us know what you find.

In my case, further experimenting showed heat soak issues with some pretty good temperatures between the carburetors that I believe is due to the cutout on the heat shield for the exhaust manifold. I'm going to construct my own heat shield this week to try to combat the issue.

• Like 1

73STR86...a couple of points: First, there are a lot more 240Zs than you might think here along the front range, and there is a Denver based group called zroad which was formed to combine the 311 roadsters and the 240/260/280 Zs, also there is a Northern Colorado Z Car Club of which I am a member. Second, I had my Hitachis redone by ZTherapy shortly after  I got my car in 2005. I explained to Steve that I lived at 5,000 feet and that a lot of my driving would be at a higher altitude than that. He put in 100 nozzles and N27 needles. FWIW I have driven over Independence Pass, Loveland Pass, Red Mountain Pass, Berthoud Pass, and Trailridge Road with no problems at all. I have since replaced the original 2.4 litre and put the carbs on a 280 F54 block with an N42 head (10-1 compression) and a stage 2 cam and a header. The car runs like a striped-arse ape. Plugs are NGK BP6ES. Distributor is a ZX w/ the 12-80 module. The only issue is a slight popping on deceleration which I can live with. No heat soak issues. Hope this helps. If you need more info PM me.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Pop's Z

Beautiful photos. I was in the area once and tried to make it to the top of Pike's Peak in a rental car. It was raining at the bottom, and the ranger stopped us about 3/4 of the way to the top because it was blizzard conditions and road was closed because the snow plow slid off the side of the road. Something about the plow was trying to clear the avalanche?

The thing was... They had just closed the road about a half hour before, and those who were already at the top were stuck there. Nobody up, and nobody down!

I was with SWMBO, and I cannot imagine what would have happened if we were some of those stuck at the top... I'd still be hearing about it! She was already nervous about the roads and wanted to turn around. I wanted to get to the top and pressed on. If we would gotten stuck at the top, it would not have been pretty!  LOL

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Updates:

Installed Retro spec type 1 air dam

Installed early 240z front bumper

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To do:

Install Z Story header/exhaust

NISMO Mikuni 44 swap (Harada intake kit, Kameari fuel rail)

20785748_1508236722567325_3028186038918191311_o.jpg

21013769_1517184165005914_4275068730974641592_o.jpg

21032517_1517160075008323_7510390675508866748_n.jpg

Edited by 73str86

• 5 weeks later...

After much disappointment, for an unknown reason, the ZStory  header/exhaust did not fit my car so I returned it for a refund. There was no clearance at the trans crossmember and a header primary was touching my steering rod. There is much debate about this on Facebook group DPAN, whether my car is bent, the welder made a mistake, etc.

I got a refund and will be installing the Fujitsubo system soon. So far everything fits like a glove, plenty of space around the header. I'll upload photos when the install is finished.

• 5 months later...

I ended up selling my completely rebuilt (by Eiji at Datsun Spirit) "NISMO" 44s also known as the Type 4. I instantly regretted it, and two weeks later bought these Type 3 Datsun Competition versions.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 73str86 said:

It's been a while. Fujitsubo is a work of art. I can't wait to hear the whole twin pipe system. A freshly vapor blasted JDM valve cover will be hydro dipped in black carbon fiber.

20180301_210456.jpg

20180303_172748.jpg

They both look great.  Lovely welds on the exhaust.

Please don't dip the rocker cover, just leave it as it is :)