IGNORED

Internet Etiquette

cbudvet

While agree with everything said above, let's take a measure or reality.

I make certain my business communications are clear, concise and to the point, with good grammer and no spelling errors. That takes time and effort, especially for an engineer who never spent much focus on "English". (Not to mention my poor typing skills).

My internet posts are casual communications, so I usually don't spend a lot of effort making them "perfect". It's more like I'm conversing with friends, who hopefully will over-look my errors...

It's easy to overlook the usual typos, like when you type 'hte' instead of 'the' or 'you' instead of 'your' or an occasional dropped punctuation character, but some people honestly need to enroll in an English course, or just make the effort to avoid typing in total Internet jargon or all lower-case.

I saw your typo but, as Tomo stated, typos aren't really the issue that is loosely being discussed in this thread. There are, however, quite a few examples in this thread that are. Only a few seem to take it seriously. I'm not really sure that some really get it.

Edited by sblake01

My internet posts are casual communications, so I usually don't spend a lot of effort making them "perfect". It's more like I'm conversing with friends, who hopefully will over-look my errors...

I totally agree and appreciate that just about everyone on this forum communicates in standard English with a minimum of texting shortcuts. A word spelled incorrectly from time to time is tolerable - the message "spell check" feature helps. However, dangling participles are a whole other ball game LOL

Dennis

Funny.

My personal view is who cares, long as the message is understood. I'm even OK with common shortcuts such as FWIW, but then I'm a silicon valley engineer.

Paticiples, antecedants? Heck, it's a miracle I can spell five letter words!

I was in Ireland last week on business. They were speaking english, but with the accent I had a difficult time following some of the conversation.

Language evolves. Go back 200+ years and most of us would have some difficulty conversing with the average english speaking person.

Language evolves? Okay, but are we really talking about evolution? Unpunctuated, uncapitalized, run on sentences, modern internet hieroglyphics, urban slang, etc. Sounds more like deterioration than evolution.

Edited by sblake01