IGNORED

Brakes: Restored! Not just rebuilt...

conedodger

Hey Rob, why are you using the mechanical fuel pump to feed those Webers? I've always understood that the mechanical pump isn't up to the task, especially for any sort of sustained spirited driving.

Coop

Edited by coop
wrong word

Hey Rob, why are you using the mechanical fuel pump to feed those Webers? I've always understood that the mechanical pump isn't up to the task, especially for any sort of sustained spirited driving.

Coop

Coop,

I will be using both. The PO removed the Mechanical and installed just a tiny little pusher pump in the rear. Most of my local track junkie friends use both the mechanical and an electric pump to prime. Webers live on only 2.5 - 3.0psi of pressure so the mechanical or a good electric pump would be ok...

I will talk to Eric about redoing it as an article if there isn't a process to just make this thread the article. He is usually pretty busy during the week though...
I'll look at promoting to an article. Might have to do some creative editing, as I believe the "promote" feature in this new forum software only promotes the first post, not the whole thread. But this is very worthwhile putting out there. As someone who has rebuilt calipers on my own for decades, I'm impressed. And I have to say that I agree with every "opinion" that Eric shared.

Edit: Got it combined and promoted.

Edited by Arne

Rob,

"Old School" wisdom said that the mechanical pump would start to drop off above 6,000 rpm. Years ago, I verified this on my car by placing a T in the fuel line just before the carbs and duct taped a pressure gauge on the windshield. Then I ran the stink out of the thing and found that the pressure did drop off at high rpm. Rolling dynos may not show the drop off because the runs are short and the carb bowls don't have time to deplete. Try that on a long straight at the track and the bowls can get sucked dry. I now run two Carter rotary pumps into a Holley regulator and then into the carb floats(no mechanical pump). Absolutely no drop off!!! I regularly out pull cars with higher HP ratings at the track and this may be the reason. An interesting tid bit here: You can set the float level(SUs) by flipping on the fuel pump and with the suction pistons removed, you can peer down into the jets and see the level in the jet looking back up at you. Very accurate and of course, the engine doesn't have to be running. Cool!

Coop

Coop,

More than likely I am going to see you and your car in operation. I now work in Reno though I don't live there yet. Got my first paycheck from them today.

I am running both a mechanical and electric. This is what Gary Cook, Bill Madamba, Steve Mill and one or two others local to me are doing. I will check the pressure though... This is mostly a street car.

• 1 month later...

wow, just stumbled over this thread, Eric will have an email from me to send my calipers in tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, anyone want to buy a brand new never installed set of Arizona Z front brakes with 4 pistons? LOL, just add it to the "uninstalled" pile.

• 1 month later...

Update; I received my calipers from Eric today and they are simply amazing, you could eat off these! For anyone looking to do a full and original resotration this is absolutley the way to go. It was no problem buying original rubber lines from Nissan too. Now I have an Arizona Z 4 piston kit to sell. (this is by no means an offer for sale)

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update: I have been driving on the calipers that you see rebuilt here for a few months now. I used the Porterfield R4S pads and shoes that I sourced from PMB Performance, Eric's company. The brakes are everything I imagined. They are balanced and strong and haul the car down without drama which is exactly what I was looking for. No noise, very little dust, just a great pad.

As you can see from the pictures of the rebuild, I sent Eric some absolute junk and he turned them into jewels. Follow his method or just send him an email and have him do it... I suspect you can get some quick turn-around too, since I sent him all the other core calipers I had in the garage as well...