IGNORED

280zx clutch pedal in 260z?

Trying to swap clutch pedals from the 1981 280zx and noticing that they're completely different trying to swap it into the 260z. What's the best route? Buy a clutch pedal assembly for the 260z from a parts store? Can I do some cutting so the spring mechanism will work? Ugg... Whole assembly swap?

Assuming you are converting to a 4/5 speed from an auto, you need to place a want to buy add here for that pedal and any other bits you need for the swap. There is an excellent post here that details every little detail of the swap. Do a little searching...

Adapting a zx pedal would indeed be a fabrication feat..

ZohanIsBack, does your 260Z presently have an automatic trans? Your other posts led me to believe that is was a stick and you just wanted to go from a 4 speed to a 5 speed. If your car is presently an automatic, you have a lot more parts to get and a lot more work ahead of you than you realize.

LOL, it's an auto, yes. I have a donor car. 280zx 2+2. What other parts will I need? I assumed that swapping flywheels and getting new hard lines for the cylinder would pretty much do it?? The only problem I am having is that darned clutch pedal (which of course I don't have a 260z clutch because I have an AUTOMATIC). :'(

UPDATE:

Ok, you CAN make a 280zx pedal work in the 260z, which is what I am doing. You need to bend down the metal on the pedal box to keep the clutch position sensor plate (on the pedal) from hitting the box. Then you can squeeze the pedal in. The pedal hits the brake pedal, but I was able to put it in vices and rebend the pedal to give it some clearance away from the brake pedal. Now it's a bit too long, but I weld, so I'll be cutting it with a torch, shortening it, and rewelding it shorter. That's that. Then, a bracket for the spring needs to be welded on directly in back of the location where the clutch cylinder meets the pedal. Total time to do all this? 1.5 hours if you are moving fast. PITA? Yeah....but worth it to save money and have the car running sooner.

I wouldn't recommend bending and welding the brake pedal. It will likely be okay for street use but realize that you are now changing how the pedal and linkage is stressed (magnitude depending on how much you bend and shorten it) and creating a stress riser at the weld.

LeonV:

Correct. The pedal has been bent and welded to take this into account. Although not perfect, the degrees and angle of force pushing the linkage into the MC will remain close to how it was intended--horizontally. My welds have passed a certification guided bend test. I am confident they'll hold.

Sblake. LOL, I wish. Found that out the hard way and have fabricated a new linkage to work with the new pedal. If all goes accordingly, should be just about perfect though.