IGNORED

195/70-14 on a 14x7 ?

cozye

Cozye,

Personally I like the look of a slightly larger wheel than the 14's. More importantly there is quite a bit of sway in those sidewalls. I realize that makes a bit more comfortable ride, but I like the precision of a 50 or 55% profile.

My springs are eibach pro's but I'm probably only 3/4" lower than where the car was sitting before I changed them.

Cozye,

Personally I like the look of a slightly larger wheel than the 14's. More importantly there is quite a bit of sway in those sidewalls. I realize that makes a bit more comfortable ride, but I like the precision of a 50 or 55% profile.

My springs are eibach pro's but I'm probably only 3/4" lower than where the car was sitting before I changed them.

Cool. Thanks for the additional info. I've got the same springs, but I think they lower the 280 more than the 240. I should have measured. I'm ok with the sway. Car is riding plenty stiff now with the tokico struts, eibach springs and urethane bushings. Having the taller sidewalls is ok with me. I'm not out tearing up the twisty roads with it.

Really just hoping to stay with the stock tire size since I have a brand new set of michelins and the car rides good with them. Also it appears there are still plenty of brands in that size. Judging from Chris's pic, I think they will be ok.

Firestone? Dunno... I'm sure Firestone makes some good tires, but I just don't trust them. When I bought my '92 Saturn new, it came with Firestones. I think they might have been the Firehawk GT. (Did they exist back then?) They handled fine. I ran them for 20,000 miles and then ditched them, because there were problems at that time with Firestones falling apart and tearing up people's fenders. Back in the 70's there were some big issues with their 721 (?) radial doing the same thing. Their claim to fame is cheap original equipment tires on American cars.

Let's not even talk about Firestone's service centers, where they'll take your money and give you back your car with nothing done on it!

I'm currently running some Potenza Grids that I like a lot.

You don't trust Firestone, but you have Bridgestones on your car? You may not be aware of the fact the Firestone has been a wholely owned subsidiary of Bridgestone for quite some time - since 1988, in fact.

This is not unusual - all of the tire companies are heavily interlocked at best. The US brands are almost all owned by other tire companies. Tires are a VERY globalized commodity. For more examples: General is a subsidiary of Continental; both Uniroyal and BF Goodrich are owned by Michelin, as is Kleber; rights to the Dunlop brand used to belong all to Sumitomo, but now vary depending on where in the world you are located, here in the US they are controlled by Goodyear, who also owns Fulda; Cooper owns Avon; etc.

Edited by Arne