IGNORED

I Must Be Crazy

Gary in NJ

I love my Z, but I'm always looking through Craigslist, Ebay, Penny Saver, etc looking for a Z bargain.

This week I spotted a 260 (74-1/2). It's in the process of being restored and is about 85% complete. The owner has lost interest in the project. The body is straight, it appears to be rust free (frame rails & floor boards are new, no rust under the battery) and most of the parts needed to complete it are there. The car has recent paint, but I think I'd have it resprayed. The flat tops have been replaced with round tops and it has a 5 speed tranny. With a little effort I could have this car done.

Here's the thing, I've never been a fan of the 260. I don't like the way they sit and I don't like the bumpers. Bumpers can be fixed/switched (I may even consider the front air-dam that has the built-in bumper) and the right springs can make all the difference in the way a car sits. I wouldn't mind a project, especially one that's off to a good start.

My concern is; get I get all of my 240 love from a 260. Have any die-hard 240 guys ever found some love from a 260?

I think you are caught up in the idea of a 240z. A lot of people want an early 240z and it would be cool to own car number 7 but there isn't much diff in the cars. The 260z has a nicer interior maybe? The larger bumpers on the later 260z do not give it any styling points though. I'd leave it if I were you and let someone else fall in love with their first Z.

Edited by Jeffrey

you are after my own heart! I have a 260, I was lucky enough to find an early one 9/73, which looks a lot like a 240, and I have yet to regret my purchase! I have never own a Z before, but I am glad that I was able to find an unmolested complete car for me to take on the full restoration myself. ROFL

Gary, your 240Z is pretty much stock, you could choose to go wild on this 260Z, full body kit or just flared arches, upgraded engine ect.

Then you could have one of both kind, one stocker and one rod.

Just an idea.

Chris

Go for it! The 260 I had when I was living in the bay area was a trooper, cost me $600 I think. Did the carb conversion, ran like a dream, never gave me any probs, and I made money on it when I sold it. Great value! (loose the bumpers though):D

Gary, your 240Z is pretty much stock, you could choose to go wild on this 260Z, full body kit or just flared arches, upgraded engine ect.

Then you could have one of both kind, one stocker and one rod.

Just an idea.

Chris

Chris, you've read my mind. Except for the wheels and sound system, my 240 is stock. I was thinking aerokit, stroker engine & some interior updates (limited to the seats and sound system) for a project car. This would also give me the freedom of painting the car black or BRG, either with a cream interior. I might even add AC to keep the wife happy.

I'm selling myself pretty good here. Can somebody please stop me?

Nope, i'm not gonna stop you;), that is what i would do, i actually have a MSA type III body kit floading around in the shop for the future, can't get my self to put it on the 240Z.

Or what about this style?

1973_datsun_240z-pic-58900.jpeg

Chris

I do like that Chis. I'm leaning towards a front spoiler and rear skirt with the integrated bumper guards and maybe the side skirts. I've never been a big fan of the bolt-on wheel arches.

Funny, these are things I would consider sacrilege on a 240, but I wouldn't hesitate to do on a 260. I'm such a 240 snob, I should be ashamed of myself.