IGNORED

Progress on rust repairs

240dkw

MY MY - it's looking lovely!!! You've pulled ahead of me now! I'm just finalized mine for paint now. I'm waiting for Dupli-color to send me some Blue Metallic so I can add it to the Silver to make a custom Blue-Silver Metallic. I'll be painting the inners later this week and then will shoot the exterior shortly thereafter. Then it'll sit for a long while because I have another couple of project I want to get a move on....

At least I can watch yours go together....and DROOL!!

I wonder what failed on the ones Carl saw. Blade came off, clutch exploded? I have no doubt that a metal fan will do more damage than a plastic on when it starts free spinning inside the engine bay. I am just not understanding what failed? If a clutch jammed up would it be enough to make the waterpump break? Or the pressed fit hub come apart? I have another post showing what I think is what the early waterpumps looked like. I can see one of them failing and breaking apart and letting the fan go for a ride.

The clutch fails and releases the metal fan into the rad and/or hood.

By way of suggestion, check for any play in your fan. Take a blade and attempt to move it perpendicular to the axis of rotation. If there is any detectable movement (wobble), be aware of a potential clutch failure.

Also, I should mention that if you observe any loss of fluid (oily)from within the clutch mechanism, it's a heads-up that a change is due. The original Series 1 clutch fan hubs were not designed to be refurbished; only replaced.

Hope this is of value to you.

Cheers,

George

Seal off the holes and pressurize the tank to a couple PSI. Then dunk it in your neighbors swimming pool to check for bubbles. Easy peasy. :laugh:

Good idea but no swimming pool near by. I sealed the holes and used the discharge end of a vacuum cleaner to pressure it up to 1.5 psi. then I used shoop to check for bubbles. First go around there was around a dozen pinholes and two quite large holes. Another round of welds and another bubble test. Only a couple of very small leaks. Second pass with the welder and all is good.

The clutch fails and releases the metal fan into the rad and/or hood.

By way of suggestion, check for any play in your fan. Take a blade and attempt to move it perpendicular to the axis of rotation. If there is any detectable movement (wobble), be aware of a potential clutch failure.

Also, I should mention that if you observe any loss of fluid (oily)from within the clutch mechanism, it's a heads-up that a change is due. The original Series 1 clutch fan hubs were not designed to be refurbished; only replaced.

Hope this is of value to you.

Cheers,

George

George: Thanks, that helps a lot.

MY MY - it's looking lovely!!! You've pulled ahead of me now! I'm just finalized mine for paint now. I'm waiting for Dupli-color to send me some Blue Metallic so I can add it to the Silver to make a custom Blue-Silver Metallic. I'll be painting the inners later this week and then will shoot the exterior shortly thereafter. Then it'll sit for a long while because I have another couple of project I want to get a move on....

At least I can watch yours go together....and DROOL!!

Having it painted and not putting stuff back on would drive me crazy. You still have time to catch up, I don't think I will get mine back for another couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Started working on the wiper system and found the backside of the plastic cover melted. Decided I better check the motor. Hooked it up to my DC power supply and it turned but was pulling 23 amps!! Wire got really hot in a hurry. Lucky I had a spare one which pulled a nice 1.3 amps. Cleaned everything and as the melting was on the backside I am able to reuse the cover.

post-15138-14150825647391_thumb.jpg

post-15138-14150825647995_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa! That might be the best epoxy primer job I've ever seen! That painter must really care about his work. Now, what color ya gonna paint it? ;)LOL

Well, we know where to find you this winter. Happy assembly while wearing nothing by soft flannel and kidd gloves. Enjoy!