IGNORED

Painting it 901

steve91tt

I'm hoping it's what I've been waiting for also. The ones formerly made by Peerless don't appear for sale very often and I didn't bid high enough, the last time one turned up on Ebay. I want to bond my spook to it and make it a single rigid assembly. I'll add the steel one to the "original" pile.

Got my bumpers back from Denver Bumper Works today and all I can say is WOW!:D

I knew these guys were good but they exceeded my expectations significantly.

The bumpers I sent them were bent up, scratched and rusting from the back. They cleaned and re-chromed them to a mirror finish. No evidence at all of the dents or rust. I can hardly believe that they are my bumpers.

Here are a couple of photos.

post-20531-14150811057689_thumb.jpg

I highly recommend these guys.

post-20531-14150811057168_thumb.jpg

The fiberglass valance came in from Classic Datsun today.

This is my first experience with raw fiberglass body parts so I have a hard time judging the quality. I will take it to the body shop later this week and get their feedback.

I will say that the gel coat looks quite good and to my eye it doesn't look like it would take much sanding to get it ready for paint.

post-20531-14150811076331_thumb.jpg

There are a few small imperfections but even without sanding I don't think you could see them when installed unless you went looking for them.

post-20531-14150811076066_thumb.jpg

post-20531-14150811075426_thumb.jpg

post-20531-14150811075801_thumb.jpg

The fiberglass valance came in from Classic Datsun today.

Looks like a nice piece. I see they simulated the joints of a 3 piece valance. That is something the Peerless part didn't have, that I thought would make it look more realistic.

I am thinking it should be easier to work with fiberglass to prevent any tire rubbing issues and still maintain the stock appearance also.

Looking forward to seeing it mounted on your car!:classic:

Hi Steve:

The pictures don't show it - but - You Are Removing the engine and repainting the engine bay - RIGHT??? No sense in taking the whole car apart and not refinishing the engine bay... Right?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Steve:

The pictures don't show it - but - You Are Removing the engine and repainting the engine bay - RIGHT??? No sense in taking the whole car apart and not refinishing the engine bay... Right?

FWIW,

Carl B.

The engine will come out in the fall when the summer heat has past. I will strip the engine bay at that time and paint it. I will also do some drive train upgrades (head work, stroker?). I've been in the industrial paint business for the last 15 years. I've painted cars and boats before myself in the past. The engine bay is in great shape so it should not be a big deal. I didn't do the entire car myself because I don't have time (ie my wife would kill me:classic:)

I was able to cut the cost of the paint job down substantially by both doing the engine bay and the wet sanding and buffing of the entire car myself.

• 2 weeks later...

With any luck I will drive my car home tonight. Just the hood to put back on before I can drive it back to my house to finish the reassembly. One problem popped up today. The fiberglass valance from Classic Datsun does not fit. It rubs on the bumper brackets.

post-20531-14150811205997_thumb.jpg

I suspect this is something to do with the fact that this is a 1973 with different bumper mounts?

No big deal. Looks like I will have to cut a couple of half inch notches and all will be well.

post-20531-14150811205697_thumb.jpg

I suspect this is something to do with the fact that this is a 1973 with different bumper mounts?

No big deal. Looks like I will have to cut a couple of half inch notches and all will be well.

Yes, the '70-72 brackets go straight in and don't even come close in that area.