IGNORED

What I did today

Mikez73

I used a Scotch Brite pad to clean the fuel and brake lines. That seems to work best. I've used steel wool before, but it leaves too many 'hairs'. Once the lines are clean, I spray them with a clear coat enamel to prevent rust.

The brake clips and bolts I zinc and yellow chromate plate myself with the Caswell zinc plating kit. It works great and is very convenient.

All these cars are looking great guys! Today I placed an order for a MIG welding machine. I have a decent amount of work to do with it. Mainly the floor pans and rails. but also there is a section of rust at the bottom of the hatch and below that, just above the tail lights. Pictures will be posted for sure!

Replaced the float needle valves and seats this evening.

Last week I drove the car to work one day, and part way there I noticed the idle was rough and slow. On the way home it popped and burbled badly on deceleration. I pulled the airbox cover off when I got home and found raw fuel inside near the rear carb - obviously from the overflow. Got a hold of Bruce at ZTherapy the next morning and ordered a new pair of valve/seat assemblies, float cover gaskets, banjo filters and banjo bolt washers.

It all arrived late today. I checked the height of the new assemblies with sealing washer using my micrometer to compare to the originals, and they were within 0.2mm. This told me that the float levels would be essentially unchanged, so I just put them in and fired it up.

Runs just like it always had prior to the rear carb's problem. All is good in the Z world again.

Edited by Arne

• 2 weeks later...
I started on an engine bay / engine refresh project last night.

QUOTE]

I love that root beer brown color of the engine bay. There was a great looking Z in that same color at the JCCS show this year. It was one of my favorites.

Nice lookin carbs too; no need to work on those :)

• 5 weeks later...

Almost done with the hand to hand combat that was my engine/engine bay refresh. A few minor hiccups along the way but the car runs great.

I installed a 3.0 Rebello short block, centerforce clutch and 10# flywheel. I left everything else stock.

post-20531-14150812855737_thumb.jpg

I've got a couple of hundred miles on the motor and still have a few loose ends to tie up but so far I am happy with the results.

post-20531-14150812856104_thumb.jpg

post-20531-14150812856428_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Today, I removed the window tint from the driver and passenger windows in the 260Z. I found a video on YouTube that showed how to use a steamer to get the tint off. I went to Wal-Mart to get a steamer (I had the wife's blessing since she wanted a garment steamer.) and got rid of the old, almost-opaque tint. I'm going to take care of the rear hatch next, since I can't see a darn thing out the back window. I'm also attacking a leaking clutch master cylinder.

I love having some time off.

• 3 weeks later...