IGNORED

Which engine came with a single row crank pulley

oldhemi

I was kind of curious on what engine or which year car came with a 1 row pulley. I am suspecting pre-73 Z's w/o a/c. My early non-ac 260Z has a 2 row where one row that drove the smog pump has been empty for many years . Here are the weights from datsunzgarge.com:

3-row: 8 pounds

2-row: 6 pounds

1-row: 3.5 pounds

I would like to get a single row more for appearance rather than any real or imagined performance gains.

I believe that the single row pulley is a racing/after-market part. All years of the 240Z came with an air reactor pump, and the later years started adding true factory air conditioning and various power accessories.

Edit: I am talking here about U.S. specification cars... other markets will differ.

Edited by Walter Moore
Posted U.S. spec information without explicitly stating so.

I believe that the single row pulley is a racing/after-market part. All years of the 240Z came with an air reactor pump, and the later years started adding true factory air conditioning and various power accessories.

Edit: I am talking here about U.S. specification cars... other markets will differ.

Glad to see the edit...240Z's in Australia did not come with a air pump.....

The single row front pulley 12303-E4100 is supposedly a competition piece however it is listed in the Nissan Fairlady parts book. It requires a larger bolt and washer. However 12303-E4600 is single row and listed in the Nissan in the U.S.A. competition catalog. It is also listed in the Parts Catalog USA and Canada. The HLS30UN type, delivered to Canada except the state of Ontario came with the single row front pulley as it did not come equipped with emission devices. (page 12, Service Bulletin vol. 125, May 1970)

The E4100 pulley has a larger, thicker damper than the E4600 pulley.

Edited by 26th-Z

Well now, thanks guys for the info! This explains why I never saw one in the junkyards years ago when there were Z's in the junkyards! Many years ago, an emission inspector would look for empty rows to quickly check if an air pump was removed. So, I was just keeping an eye out for one in case i ever ran into that situation. Now, I dont care about this consequence since Texas has no smog inspections for vehicles over 25 years old. And, I dont feel too bad about my carbon footprint on the environment because I really cant see putting more than 2000 miles yearly on this car.

I see a picture of the L28 engine with a 2 row pulley in a '76 service manual of an HLS30UN (new term to me!). One row was empty. Hmmm, no smog pump in the 75-78's? But, I digress.

I'll push my luck here a little and ask: does one have to change the damper to use either of the above posted single pulleys? I am guessing not.

Ratzzz, 26th! You are the bearer of bad news aren't you! Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it,eh? Thank you for your knowledge and posting.

Since its part of the damper, I think that I would have to do more research if its a good idea to cut it down. I wonder if the 510 motors would have a single row..... I have searched on the other forums and it does not come up at all.

But, to tell the truth, this quest is now moot to me. Too much work and possible expense for what I thought would be a simple and cheap deal. Now I know!

Edited by oldhemi

Ratzzz, 26th! You are the bearer of bad news aren't you! Thank you for your knowledge and posting.

Since its part of the damper, I think that I would have to do more research if its a good idea to cut it down. I wonder if the 510 motors would have a single row..... I have searched on the other forums and it does not come up at all.

But, to tell the truth, this quest is now moot to me. Too much work and possible expense for what I thought would be a simple and cheap deal. Now I know!

73 L-16 motors had a single row and the L-18's also if memory serves me correctly

Somehow though dont think the bore is the right size, good luck