IGNORED

If you road race a S30 please read

Derek

All right this is a little wordy so please stick with me!

I have a driving simulator called rFactor. It's an awesome program. This driving SIM is the same one that's used by some of the F1 teams to train on. The physics engine is very advanced. Plus there is a huge amount of user support in the way of add on cars and tracks. These are called MODs for you old dudes like me out there. I bought the program so I could improve my driving skills since I don't have access (money) to a track. I built a driving rig out of an old seat from my 240 and a logitech G25 wheel. The G25 is nice in that it has a clutch pedal and a shifter.

IMG_0233.jpg

I did a mod on the pedals and hung them and added a load cel on the brake pedal for a more realistic feel.

IMG_0234.jpg

My driving ability and especially heal toe ability improved greatly. There was only one thing missing. An actual 240Z to drive on the track. Well being an idiot I decided I would make it my mission to make it happen. I did some checking around and and contacted one of the top mod groups to see what I could make happen. You know its just amazing how much interest you can get when you mention that you own a 3D laser scanner to a bunch of volunteer game developers!

So now that I was their new best friend we hashed out a plan of action. I'd handle all of the 3D modeling work and they would take care of the physics, sounds, and other assorted mumbo jumbo that makes the thing work.

Now this is where you guys come in. I need data. Lots of data. It's mind boggling how much info can be programed in. The one that really caught my eye was size and location of fuel tank so that it could factor in the weight of the fuel. Now that's thorough!

This is where you come in. I'm going to looking for as much accurate info as I can get. I know some things may be averages and some will be educated guesses. But your guess is going to be a hell of a lot better than my guess. The physics guys on the team are really into creating cars that are accurate as possible and will use as much data as we provide.

Here is a snip from the physics file on an old Mustang

[bODYAERO]

BodyDragBase=(0.6)

BodyDragHeightAvg=(0.10) // drag increase with average ride height

BodyDragHeightDiff=(0.22) // drag increase with front/rear ride height difference

BodyMaxHeight=(0.20) // maximum ride height that affects drag/lift

BodyLeft=(-0.7, 0.0, 0.0) // aero forces from moving left

BodyRight=(0.7, 0.0, 0.0) // aero forces from moving right

BodyUp=(0.0, -1.5, 0.0)

BodyDown=(0.0, 1.5, 0.0) // aero forces from moving down

BodyAft=(0.0, 0.5, -0.2) // aero forces from moving rearwards

BodyFore=(0.0, 0.18, 0.0) // aero forces from moving forwards (lift value important!)

BodyRot=(1.8, 1.4, 0.9) // aero torque from rotating

BodyCenter=(0.0, 0.50, -1.100) // center of body aero forces (offset from center of rear axle at ref plane)

RadiatorRange=(0.50, 0.250, 5) // radiator range

RadiatorSetting=2 // radiator setting

RadiatorDrag=(0.076) // effect of radiator setting on drag

RadiatorLift=(0.068) // effect of radiator setting on lift

BrakeDuctRange=(0.0, 0.50, 3) // brake duct range

BrakeDuctSetting=1 // brake duct setting

BrakeDuctDrag=(0.02) // effect of brake duct setting on drag

BrakeDuctLift=(0.0525)

[DIFFUSER]

[sUSPENSION]

PhysicalModelFile=mustang_Susp.pm

CorrectedInnerSuspHeight=-1

ApplySlowToFastDampers=1

AdjustSuspRates=1

AlignWheels=0

FrontWheelTrack=1.485

RearWheelTrack=1.465

LeftWheelBase=2.750

RightWheelBase=2.750

CenterWheelsOnBodyX=0

SpringBasedAntiSway=0

AllowNoAntiSway=0

FrontAntiSwayRange=(0.016, 0.004, 5)

FrontAntiSwaySetting=2

FrontAntiSwayRate=(1.36e11, 4.0)

RearAntiSwayBase=0.0

RearAntiSwayRange=(0.0, 0.0, 0)

RearAntiSwaySetting=0

RearAntiSwayRate=(7.60e19, 9.0)

FrontToeInRange=(-1.0, 0.1, 21)

FrontToeInSetting=10

RearToeInRange=(-1.0, 0.1, 21)

RearToeInSetting=10

LeftCasterRange=(-0.0, 0.5, 14)

LeftCasterSetting=5

RightCasterRange=(-0.0, 0.5, 14)

RightCasterSetting=5

What's in it for you you might ask. Well nothing really unless you plan on getting a driving setup. In that case it might be a good too to keep you sharp in the off season or tune up a little before going to a new track. Or we can all meet up online for some awesome Z car racing.

Some of you guy's followed me along as I went through the madness that was casting my own EFI manifold so you know I finish what I start out to accomplish so this won't be wasted effort on your part.

Here are some shots of where I'm at in the modeling process on the Z.

1127091mesh.jpg

1127092mesh.jpg

The exterior is mostly done and I'm starting on the interior.

Right now it's going to patterned after the BRE car but that is just for style. All the handling and aerodynamics is done with the physics definitions. The shaping isn't perfect but it will get the job done. The 3D model is there to hang the skins.

If you go on youtube and search on rfactor you can get an idea of what it's all about.

Don't hate me just because I'm insane!

Derek

Edited by Derek

Holy Crap!!! That is so cool. I have never heard of rfactor but it seems like a great program. Fanatec makes some really nice steering wheels, shifters and pedals. They are german and can get expensive. I was thinking of a similar thing for Forza2. Your rendering of the 240z is incredible. I wish I could help you with the figures but it is so out of my league. Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

carl

Rfactor is a great program, I highly recommend it. With that said I don't play it too often anymore, mainly for track familiarization prior to a race weekend.

From what I've read the G25 is probably the best wheel out there with the Thomas Superwheel (which I have) being a close second. The TSW has an advantage from a longevity standpoint and the pots are replaceable. I've been contemplating building a setup like yours using the Kirkey seat out of the race car and upgrading the race car's in the process.

Anyway I downloaded the Historic GT & Touring Cars Mod I haven't looked back, an outstanding addition. An S30 would be right at home in it too. Yours is looking good, I look forward to driving it.

BTW, TSW has some frames for sale on their website too, they look pretty good:

zframe02.jpg

Rfactor is a great program, I highly recommend it. With that said I don't play it too often anymore, mainly for track familiarization prior to a race weekend.

From what I've read the G25 is probably the best wheel out there with the Thomas Superwheel (which I have) being a close second. The TSW has an advantage from a longevity standpoint and the pots are replaceable. I've been contemplating building a setup like yours using the Kirkey seat out of the race car and upgrading the race car's in the process.

Anyway I downloaded the Historic GT & Touring Cars Mod I haven't looked back, an outstanding addition. An S30 would be right at home in it too. Yours is looking good, I look forward to driving it.

Hi Phillip

The nice thing about building your own rig is you can set it up the way you want. The wheel, seat and pedal placement on mine is the same as the Z. Hanging the pedals and adding a load cell on the brakes was a huge improvement.

I would say the historic GT mod is the best one out there. But I may be playing favorites. Right now I'm driving the Capri 2600 as it probably going to be close to the Z

When The mod comes out in beta would you be interested in working with us on dialing in the physics? Someone with actual track and rFactor experience would be invaluable.

Derek

Edit: Anyone thinking of buying a racing seat don't get a seat with center bar like the playseats evolution. It's near impossible to work the clutch and brake. You want an open loop one like in the picture.

Edited by Derek

How about using some of the aero-data taken during the Hybridz wind tunnel tests?

And Derek, you now have me re-doing my winter priorities (refresh my street Z, add a few mods, refresh the race car, and now it seems build an rFactor set-up).......

Not sure what I can bring to the show but I'm sure Pete (Z-Ya) has some computer skills which might turn out useful to the process.

It would sure make the cold, snowy winter months a lot easier to endure.

Derek, you amaze me some times.

Well I can't afford a car to race like Bill's But I can afford this!

I"m probably hosting the next club meet at my shop and I have 2 driving stations set up so you can give it a try if you like!. No Z yet though.

How about using some of the aero-data taken during the Hybridz wind tunnel tests?

And Derek, you now have me re-doing my winter priorities (refresh my street Z, add a few mods, refresh the race car, and now it seems build an rFactor set-up).......

Not sure what I can bring to the show but I'm sure Pete (Z-Ya) has some computer skills which might turn out useful to the process.

It would sure make the cold, snowy winter months a lot easier to endure.

All ready on it. The mod guys were pretty impressed with that data. I'm going to be bribing Pete for some info with a set of cam shims I made up.

The 3d model is pretty but the driving experience is all based on the physics file. These guys are all about quality. They are trying to get three other cars done so I'm going to be getting as much data as I can to make their job easier.

On the plus side my drawing skills are really improving!

Derek

Hi Derek,

You have share such a mind blowing information. I can't get words to appreciate your work. You have done a splendid job. I will share this information with those who are highly fond of races and cars. Any more updates appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Another spambot:

IP Check - 122.169.57.185

122.169.57.185 appears in our database 2 times.

Hostname: ABTS-mum-Dynamic-185.57.169.122.airtelbroadband.in

Country of origin: India

whois lookup

Date IP address Username Email Address

11/17/09 10:38 AM 122.169.57.185 thomasstuart thomasstuart@sify.com

11/13/09 10:43 AM 122.169.57.185 steevelewis steevelewis@sify.com

Nearby IPs found in the database:

■122.160.12.55

■122.160.24.94

■122.160.31.188

■122.160.41.99

■122.160.42.120

Logitech just released the G27. Which has a much nicer clutch pedal. Apparently the old one didn't have any resistance like the brake pedal.

I think they also eliminated the option of bumping the shifter up or down for sequential. Now you only choose the shifter for manual or the paddles for sequential.

I plan on building the seat setup using the extra Sparco seat from my 510. It will be great in front of my 58" plasma!!!!!