IGNORED

Oregon or Bust!

Best drive in America? Quite possibly. There's also Hocking Hills (Ohio) in the fall, and parts of the Texas Hill Country in the early spring if it's the RIGHT spring (honest!). But yes, Highway 1 would still be my favorite. You'll live close by, so next time you can do it with a better camera -- probably with a mild wide to mild telephoto zoom. ;)

Did you visit Carmel by the Sea? It's a cute little town, albeit very touristy. I can't recommend the food there, though. I ate an an Italian restaurant there that was HORRIBLE. It takes a special "talent" to screw up Italian food as badly as that.

If you like food, you have to eat in San Francisco. I think it's impossible to find a bad restaurant there at any budget range. ;)

There are maybe three things in the US that everyone should see in person. The Redwood Forest is perhaps #1 on the list. Spend a day there and it will change your life.

Mount Rushmore is another. It is not so much seeing the Faces carved in it - as turning around and looking at the same view the faces are. While you're there go around back through Custard National Park and visit the largest herd of American Buffalo, then go on to visit Crazy Horse Mountain...

The Third - you'll have to come clear back across America to see - the Statue Of Liberty. Everyone should have to visit this in person before they are allowed to Vote.

If you think it's pretty along California, Oregon and Washington's coast - just wait till you get up into Canada...

You are correct, no matter how good the pictures -they just don't do Justice to what you see with your own eyes. Too bad you don't have someone along to share it with...

Nonetheless, I'm really enjoying your trip... I've made it several times and hope to do it again at least one more time...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Im heeeeerrrrreeee

I missed alot of stuff coming up, had to head inland from San Fransico to make a job interview in Astoria. I plan on heading back down after the interview to catch what i missed. So whats up with full service gas stations everywhere??? So far i like oregon. I have been keeping an eye out for a place to call home, and a job to afford that home. Looking too be by the coast, but might go for Eugene, or Portland. Trying to figure it out. Had a bad night last night. I got sick. And I was camping, not a good combo. On top of that my air mattress blew a hole so I had to sleep right on the ground :(. Looking to sleep a little better tonight. I'll keep postin as long as people keep readin. Or until i finally find a place to settle.

Frankie

So whats up with full service gas stations everywhere???
Oregon is one of the two remaining states that does not allow self-service gas. Long-drawn out story there. For my normal cars that's OK, and the attendants are allowed to hand me the nozzle to fill my own motorcycle tank. But I have to get out of the Z anyway to warn them about the chain on the gas cap. I'd just as soon do it myself. But it's not allowed, so I live with it.

There are maybe three things in the US that everyone should see in person. The Redwood Forest is perhaps #1 on the list. Spend a day there and it will change your life.

Mount Rushmore is another. It is not so much seeing the Faces carved in it - as turning around and looking at the same view the faces are. While you're there go around back through Custard National Park and visit the largest herd of American Buffalo, then go on to visit Crazy Horse Mountain...

The Third - you'll have to come clear back across America to see - the Statue Of Liberty. Everyone should have to visit this in person before they are allowed to Vote.

If you think it's pretty along California, Oregon and Washington's coast - just wait till you get up into Canada...

You are correct, no matter how good the pictures -they just don't do Justice to what you see with your own eyes. Too bad you don't have someone along to share it with...

Nonetheless, I'm really enjoying your trip... I've made it several times and hope to do it again at least one more time...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I agree with Carl on the three things in the USA that are a must-see; however, here are some others I would add to my list:

Grand Canyon (AZ) my #1-Pictures & video don't even scratch the surface)

Yellowstone Nat'l Park (WY) (unbelievable landscape and abundant wildlife)

Yosemite Nat'l Park (CA) (haven't ever been there but want to go)

Grand Teton Nat'l Park (WY) (closest thing to the Alps in this country)

Mesa Verde Nat'l Park (CO) Ancient Indian Cliff Dwellings in beautiful SW CO

Pacific Coast Highway (I've only seen the CA portion-would like to see more)

Maroon Bells (Near Aspen, CO)

Oregon is one of the two remaining states that does not allow self-service gas. Long-drawn out story there. For my normal cars that's OK, and the attendants are allowed to hand me the nozzle to fill my own motorcycle tank. But I have to get out of the Z anyway to warn them about the chain on the gas cap. I'd just as soon do it myself. But it's not allowed, so I live with it.

That is one of my displeasures of visting Oregon. So I stand there and watch them, tell them about the chain, and warn them NOT TO CHIP MY PAINT with their damn nozzle. Each time I've had an attendant "Fill her up" they always smack the metal above the lid (the fuel door lip) And they did it twice on the way thru OR after my fresh paint job. Bastards.

So I watch them with an Evil Eye.

Dave

Glad you made it safely Frankie!

I think I can speak for most Oregonians who are into cars in that we all would vote to pump our own gas if they would let us. Bastards!!

I'm in Cornelius, which is about 30 mins west of Portland and about an hour to the beach....so depending on where you were going to work, it could be a good location. I currently have a roommate but if I didn't I'd be into having a fellow Z lover to be my roommate. I don't have lots of room to work on the car though...just a single-wide garage which has my turbo engine in it along with other things....so have to work outside or at my friend's shop 6 miles away. I don't much like my current roommate so something could possibly be arranged if you were interested. If you are then send me a PM.

Greg