IGNORED

Oregon or Bust!

This thread has been a long time coming. I got my 240z when i was twelve, and stared at it in the garage for 4 years before i could drive it. Its been a work in progress ever since.

I made up my mind 5 years ago I was gonna save up enough to drive the car across country and relocate there. I moved to chicago and worked for 4 years saving up to come back and finish the car. I quit my job in May and spent the whole summer welding, sanding, wrenching, and thinking id never get done. As i am anything but a mechanic. Those of you on the threads will know that, as I have bugged nearly everyone on here for help along the way.

You can see my car on my profile. This summer I finished putting in new floors, rebuilding the engine, new paint job, putting in all new brake system, and all the extras the came with bringing it up to make the long drive.

Tomorrow I leave Indiana for a cross country road trip ending in Oregon where I plan to live. I will drive the old z a little over 5000 miles in the next month. Many of my friends have doubted me along the way but here i am.

Well thast my story, I gotta get back to the finishin touches. But i just wanted to post this in hopes that those of us newbies out there will see there is a possiblity of doing it all ur self if your willing to put in the time, and hard work.

Im sure ill be postin along the way if i have any problems, hopefully not though :). Thanks everybody for the advice, help on my car.

Frankie

Well, I don't know if congrats are in order or a simple good luck. Either way, I think you'll like the Great North West. I've lived just north of Seattle for almost all my Life, but have also lived all over Washington State. I also love visiting Oregon Every once in a while. There are TONS of Z owners down there and I think you'll feel right at home.

In my opinion, Z (S30) Owners have turned out to be the kindest, most giving, considerate people I've ever met. I too try and return the favor whenever possible.

That being said, if you're ever in the Everett/Marysville area, 30+ miles North of Seattle, Feel free to stop by anytime. We'll do lunch/dinner, whatever.

Dave

Good on ya. My son sat in the garage watching, and helping me with a 240, since he was 8. He just took over the car, and drove from the West Coast to Ontario. 5,000k. He made it in 5 days, with help from this forum, and some great Z people. Oregon is great, lot's of hilly winding roads. Have fun.

Tom

Thanks guys

I am going anywhere in oregon i can find a job, :). If anybody knows of a job opening, id definitely be interested. My previous work was as an accountant. I was planning on the coast like brookings or coos bay, but also lookin at eugene and salem. Darrel, i feel a little sarcasm in ur statement :).

I am a little worried about traveling through the mountains in wyoming, utah, south dakota, and colorado; not to mention some snow. I am thinking i will have to time it just right. My temp stays pretty cool so i hope it will be fine.

I will post along the way with pics.

Thanks again

Frankie

I just had a friend come by for a visit. He used to own auto electric on Wayne street. I was born in ft wayne and moved here in '72 when I was 12. I still have aunts, uncles and cousins there.

What is your itinerary and route? I wouldn't worry about weather until you get here. Mostly it's a bump in the road IF it moves in. 90% of the time the weather is great. You only see when it's bad when it's on the national news.

If you go through Denver, you'll have to check out our new track just east of denver.

www.highplainsraceway.com

Edited by Darrel

....snip....

I am a little worried about traveling through the mountains in wyoming, utah, south dakota, and colorado; not to mention some snow. I am thinking i will have to time it just right. My temp stays pretty cool so i hope it will be fine.

I will post along the way with pics.

Thanks again

Frankie

Stay on I-90 thru South Dakota and you won't run into any mountains. Of course if you have the time, you might want to get off the beaten path and check out the Badlands and the Black Hills.

Oh and MEZZZ....you gotta get past the being scammed thing, it's gonna tear you apart! :paranoid: