IGNORED

Konig Rewinds from Motorsport

MEZZZ

I understand the sentiment on this, but for your average Z owner and strictly for street use, the selection of 15" tires is just fine. About the same as 16", actually, as the very best track-capable tires are often not available in sizes smaller than 17".

Arne is of course absolutely correct. I forget that for most guys don't need or want to pay for Hoosiers, Kumho, Yokohama R-rated rubber. My apologies. You should be good for a long time.

Now I will go back to sticking my thumbnail deep into my tire rubber and smiling :stupid:

I had 205/60-15 Yokohamas on Mitsubishi wheels on my Eibach-equipped '72 and there were no problems. This year, I changed to 225/50-15 Yokos and had to install 15 mm spacers and longer studs on the front hubs to gain strut clearance. The same wheel/tires show no problem on the rear (disc brake conversion there). There were and are no fender rubbing issues.

Clearly, a lot will depend upon the wheel offset. I would be nice for one of our CAD-loving members to put up some representations of various wheel/tire/spring/camber combos. I also expect that if one knows the various parameters, a calculator could be devised to tell how much clearance one might expect - at least in a static mode.

Just to chime in, on my 280 I have Rota RB-R 16x8 (+4 offset) with Yokohoma Advan 032R 225/45/16. I have no issues with rubbing. It's close to be sure, but it's fine. I am running these with the Tokiko HP setup and matching springs. I also was unable to use the front center caps.

Bajcsi

Every car is a little different. Even with all things being equal such as year or model there can be still be quite a variation on what will fit or not, especially when trying to max out on tire/wheel combinations. I found out how easy it was to slightly manipulate the body side of the clearance equation without it being noticeable, when I was fitting my new outer wheel housings & quarters. I would rather err on the safe side when buying wheels & tires, especially when a miscalculation could be so costly. I came across this comparison calculator that could be usefull if it could be adapted to use with a "to scale" overlay that was representative of the dimensions of your car. That would be neat but we would still all need a different overlay or adjustable one, depending on how our cars are outfitted.

http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/rt_specs.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire%20size%20comparer&showRim1=1&showTire1=1&sw1=225&ar1=50&bd1=15&rd1=15&rw1=7.5&et1=21&showRim2=1&showTire2=1&sw2=165&ar2=70&bd2=13&rd2=13&rw2=5.5&et2=40&text1=&text2=

Edited by geezer
added info

Thanks for all the replies on this issue. To answer a few things,,,

When I got my 15" Rewinds from MSA a couple years ago, they included a set of extended center caps and "Z" emblems to replace the standard caps that don't easily fit on the front wheels. Did they mention if they still do that?

The rep did not tell me that they were extended but did claim the wheels came with center caps with the Z logo, lug nuts, valve stems. If I bought the tire combo, they would be mounted and ready to bolt on with no rubbing issues, no adjustments needed, no adaptors, etc. Sounds easy. I did the math and they are hitting me for the price on tires. $549 for 4 wheels plus freight, 987.80 for wheels and tires plus freight. That works out to $109.70 per tire. I did a quick search and can get them online for $90 but then I still have to pay mounting, etc.

I found some Rota 16X8 last night (at Conedodgers recommendation) for $499 shipped. They do not include lug nuts (another $30-40) and then I still have to take them and get tires and pay mounting, etc.

Zedyone_kenobi- I will defintely post a photo for you, maybe with your clears on too :)

Chris280Z-love the look of your 240 with them on. you are making it an easier decision by posting that pic.

Arne- thanks as always for your valued advice. You are correct, no track use, I just want a fun to drive car that looks good too. I am concerned with ride quality and have to be honest, read good and bad with the HP's. I am trying to temper them a bit by using the Eibachs. I really dont need a hi-pro tire, a decent tire with a decent ride quality is more than enough for me.

Geezer-thanks for the calculator, fun to use. I plugged in what my car currently has and then plugged in the Toyo 225/60-15. It is 8/10 of an inch taller than my current tire and over an inch wider. If I drop an inch with the Eibachs, that closes the gap by almost 2 inches.

Thanks for all the replies

I don't want to beat this to death...because the "answers" have been provided in the previous posts. The Konig Rewinds will fit just fine as MSA states without adaptors or rubbing. The Z logo is a decal to cover the Konig name if you so desire. If you ask MSA about the problem with the front center caps....they will tell you to take a hammer and gently pound in the grease cap . This is only a couple of mm. The center cap will then go on without any problem what so ever. No drama. The same wheels are also available locally...Discount Tire...in our area, but without any Z decals, of course. I have the 16" wheels on my 260Z and cannot speak to problems with springs that lower the car as mine is stock.

post-9822-14150807875367_thumb.jpg